Chapter 27: Faith

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

I carefully set Anna down and push her behind me, "Miss, I need you to come with me," I shake my head, my eyes welling up with tears. Even with him, I don't want to go anywhere. I simply want to run away and live my life without care or interference from anyone. More gunshots rang out, and I covered Anna's ears as she clung to me. I need to find a method to get away.

"I'm sorry about this," I said, and before he could grasp me, I kicked him where the sun doesn't shine. He collapsed to the ground, groaning in agony, and I bolted, clutching Anna's small hand tightly in mine. 

I could sense Anna was becoming fatigued, but we had a long way to go, so I scooped her into my arms. I ran as fast as I could, even though I was out of breath. Fortunately, I discovered the road, but there were no cabs available and I didn't have my phone to contact for help. Breathing in to recover my breath, I walked down the street till I saw a car and yelled at the driver to stop. It was an elderly gentleman who stopped for us.

"Annika who were those men," I kiss her cheek and smile trying to reassure her.  

"No one, Anna" She looks up from my lap. 

"Where are we going," I brush her hair away. 

"Well first I'm going to take you back because it's dangerous if you stay with me," she frowns annoyed at what I said. Who knew a six-year-old has so much attitude. 

"I want to stay with you," I smile. 

"I swear I'll take you with me forever when I get out of this mess. Right now, your safety is the most important concern." She extends her pinky to me.

"Promise?," I wrap my pinky around hers. 

"Promise."

We weren't gone long before we were back in the city. I assisted Anna and thanked the driver. We entered the large building, and Maria came towards me, embracing Anna "Thank goodness she's okay. We were worried sick" I give Anna one more cuddle before releasing her since she has to be assessed for injuries. Despite the fact that I've only known her for a day, she already feels like my little sister, and I want to protect her, yet this is the best option. Anna turns around one more time and sticks her tongue out at me, making me grin as I do the same to her. We have a really unique bond. We don't need words to communicate with one another. We've developed our own secret language of smiles, sniffs, sighs, gasps, winks, and eye rolls. 

Now that I'm not married to Liam, I'm still on the black list, for which I have no idea what day it is. I need to get away from everyone and attempt to restore my life. I need a new beginning. I'm terrified, and I don't know how much time I have till the dreadful day, but I'm going to make every second matter.

"Maria do you mind if I use your phone, I have to call someone," she nods without hesitation lending me her phone. Quickly I dial Ruby's number as I memorised. She answered "Hello"