Chapter 43: Means

Annika Remo

Annika Remo

I'm so embarrassed. SO FREAKING EMBARRASSED. Waking up alone in bed was something I should have expected. I got up and went to the restroom, using the blankets to cover my entire body. I don't know since I fell asleep when he left last night. I'm not sure how I feel. A part of me is hurt, but I don't want to be a clingy person.

Looking in the mirror, the purple marks on my skin were visible. My fingertips glide across them softly. I shouldn't have asked for a kiss. Wasn't it possible that everything had been a mistake?

I didn't even know if he realised the scars on my back. As much as my scars represent everything I have been through I don't want him to see. We were both in such a faze that none of us could even realise what was going on.

After a hot shower, I wrapped the towel over my body and placed my hearing aids back on. I walked out the door towards the closet. I haven't contacted Ruby yet. I don't believe she'd want to talk to me after what occurred. So many people could have been harmed.

I hate that idea. I hate the thought that they could be harmed. The sound of those gunshots, screams and sirens will stay in my mind and thoughts. I don't think I will be able to go and see the kids without worrying that they might be a target. I didn't even realise I was crying when I felt the wetness of the tears on my cheeks.

Pathetic.

When I felt strong hands grasp my waist and press me into a muscular chest, my breath caught in my throat. My body was stiff because I didn't know who it was, but the instant I felt his lips on the nape of my neck, I realised it was Matteo, and I snapped back to reality.

"You scared me,"

"What else did I do, beautiful,' he said softly, pressing himself into my depths. "I-I don't understand." I completely knew what he meant as the wetness between my legs was growing, feeling his hot breath on my skin. I pulled against his grip and sucked in my breath with a faint 'ah' as he pressed even deeper. "I think you do, princess," he whispered.

I surrendered to him, I couldn't look away from him. The muscles in his right arm flexing under tattoos and track-mark scars. I loved his arms with the ropes of muscles that held me.

As the kiss went on, the tingle between my legs grew to a warm centre of pleasure and then to an outright ache of need. Then I was gasping for breath and trying to understand the words that were pouring hotly into my ear. "Let go of the towel." No, no, don't you dare, I thought, but I couldn't let myself say that. "No please," I said weakly, regrettably.

But a no wouldn't be enough because in a second the towel was on the floor and I was naked in front of him. I quickly closed my eyes when I felt his fingertips tracing the scars on my back. I have no idea what he may say and I'm scared at that idea. It was silent none of us spoke a word, I knew from the way he was holding my waist with his steel grip that he was angry.