Chapter IX: A Study in 'S' Act 2 (Part II)

"Bingo, right... Hope?" Sherlock asked to the driver with his head a bit tilted to the right and his brows furrowed while a smirk is present on his face as he gazed at the hatch above him.

Despite knowing that the detective won't really see him, the driver of the cab lets a small smile appear on his face as he replies with his gaze lowered at the trapdoor, but the travel still remains smooth caused by the absence of other vehicles in the street that still remained foggy. "You surprise me. I did not expect you to investigate the case so thoroughly."

Both John's and Y/N's gaze are still focused on where the detective had been looking up earlier as Sherlock turns his attention to the two. John is wearing a worried frown while Y/N seems to hold both awe and curiosity in her expression. 

"John, and Y/N. To ride in a carriage driven by a murderer isn't something you get to often experience." Sherlock casually remarked while he leans his body forward and letting his palms face each other with each of his fingers only making contact.

"H-Hold on! Even if the name 'Lucy' on the ring is connected to Jefferson Hope, that wouldn't instantly mean that our driver is the same Hope, would it?" John reasoned out, locking gazes with the detective. 

Y/N also gives an expectant gaze to Sherlock with both of them waiting for his answer which was immediately given after Sherlock looks forward and gaining focus and concentration as he levels his fingers connected palms with his eyes as he further furrowed his brows.

"No, you're right. I came at this from two different lines of reasoning. The first one was the ring that you had mentioned. The second was some wheel tracks. Thanks to some rain that evening at the scene, the tracks were quite clear. Just as Y/N clarified, all of the houses on that street were owned by noblemen, who owned four-wheeled, two-horse carriages. However, in front of the count's house alone, there were tracks from a smaller, narrow cab."

Sherlock takes a momentary pause before continuing and still within the same pose he was before. "No fare would be foolish enough to arrive in a cab, commit a murder, then hop back in the cab and return home. They would be seen by the driver as they get inside and out, you see. Which means that the culprit was someone who bore absolutely no risk of that happening." 

Sherlock suddenly glances at the two. "And that someone is the man who was driving the cab himself."

He cranes his neck to get a better view at the two's astounded expressions before he further informs. "And so, I set the Irregulars off in search of someone who is qualified of the following criteria. A cab driver, who is a large man with pudgy fingers and also went to Number 3 on the day of the crime. One person came up right away."

Y/N narrows her gaze, meeting the detective's own before she takes a conclusion out of all of his explanations. "You mean it's Jefferson Hope."

"Not to mention that Hope's name is also in Lestrade's report. And so, it wasn't very difficult to arrive at you, Hope." Sherlock called out again to the killer, knowing full well that he's intently listening to every word he had been saying. 

Looking forward again, the detective was still left wondering to a simple detail as he simply asks the one who could only give him. "One question, though. Why did you kill Drebber in such a coarse manner? The plan that was given to you must have been more careful and elegant."

Hope's fist tightened as it slightly trembles while gripping the reigns with much force than before as he reminisces the hatred he thoroughly felt towards the victim. "It's true. It was supposed to be carried out with more finesse. But in that moment, when he... Drebber and I came to face to face..." 

The people inside the carriage heard the driver move as his voice got a bit louder. "I knew that he killed Lucy! Do you expect me to be level-headed when confronting him?! Sherlock Holmes... would you care to make a deal with me?" The detective narrowed his eyes when he heard the killer calling out to him.