Leading to Sherlock's Ending Chapter XXIII: The Final Problem Act 1

The door swung open as the detained detective is instantly given a good view of the two individuals coming in, already facing in that direction. He was seated on a wooden chair partnered up with the same material of the table in front of him where his handcuffed hands rests.

He gingerly frowned upon seeing someone he had not expected to visit him as he remarks. "What are you doing here? I don't remember asking for your help. Y/N, can you escort your companion outside?"

Mycroft instantly appears before him, his figure towering over his younger brother's as he mirrors Sherlock's irritated expression. Mycroft suddenly presses a palm on the table's wooden surface with quite a force, letting an average volume thud resonate throughout the small room as he narrows his gaze at his brother's who was courageous enough to meet it.

"Is that any attitude to have for someone who had just killed a man, Sherlock Holmes?" Asked Mycroft, continuing on with having his intense gaze as Sherlock soon avoids it, silently admitting defeat and accepting his brother's presence.

Y/N stood by the sidelines beside Lestrade, watching the two having a sibling bickering of some sorts with quite a serious matter to be the issue.

From averting his gaze, Sherlock closes his eyes for a moment before stating his reason behind the act that his brother didn't expect him to do such a thing. "That man was irredeemable dross, who could not be apprehended. Someone had to do it. I just happened to be the one, that's all."

Mycroft soon stands back up again to his full height, features turning gentle in understanding before he further asks while keeping his now absent of a frown gaze to his brother. "What you mean is that you knew this would place a heavy constraint upon you?" He then glances at the handcuffs that connects with the question.

Along with reopening his eyes, a soft clank of his handcuffs could be heard before Sherlock answers without meeting Mycroft's gaze and having it instead glance at a corner of the room. "Yeah, I knew it. I knew that if I killed him, I wouldn't be able to pursue the Lord of Crime."

It was Mycroft's turn to shut his eyes for a moment, preparing to reveal something before it was soon addressed. "Listen to me, Sherly. I'm about to tell something of very importance to you."

This caught the detective's attention, meeting Mycroft's reopened gaze as he continues. "For better or worse, you have committed the perfect crime."

Sherlock could only express his shock through his widened eyes. Understanding the silent question his surprised countenance held, Y/N was the one who revealed a crucial information of the case. "They haven't found his body, yet."

Glancing in her direction, Mycroft added on and even subtly hinting something. "And since there were no eyewitnesses at the scene, because of the fire, there is no physical evidence, such as blood traces corroborating the crime."

Y/N subtly nods in response, knowing what Mycroft is referring to in terms of being a witness, reassuring that she had reached a decision not to be one.

Whether or not she agrees, it was no question that the case had already reached its conclusion as she continues. "In other terms, your statement notwithstanding, under the circumstances, you cannot be charged with the crime of murder on principle."

Glancing at her for a moment, Sherlock had soon regained from his surprise before he lowers his gaze, muttering something about what he could only assume as a good result of the situation. "Well, whatever the case, Mary wouldn't be threatened any longer, John's marriage will be safe. It all worked out in the end."

Y/N could only subtle sigh, glancing at the door afterwards. A forceful motion soon threw it open suddenly, swinging caused by the frustrated individual pushing it without a care as the detective is now looking in front of him once again.