Leading to William's Ending Chapter XXII: The Two Criminals (Part II)

Y/N halts in her steps upon further stepping outside. The carriage that they would use as a means of transportation to their mission site is in front of them where the others had been preparing for their travel. Letting the cool breeze of the night wash away her worries, she subtly smiles in relief as she deemed her decision to not accept John's invitation for their own part of the quite similar mission of theirs a correct one. It was only right as she had been with William and the others for a long time as it would be in the end. Not only that decision, but she had also finally reached a conclusion with what path she would take in.

She could hear incoming footsteps from behind, causing her to snap out of her thoughts. Being too familiar with who it was, she awaits for whatever he could need her for.

William keeps his gaze ahead, towards where Fred and the others are, but directed the start of a conversation towards her. "I have noticed... that something seemed to be bothering you. Is the reason related to our soon encounter with Milverton where there will be a possibility of us facing a certain detective as well?"

Perhaps it was just too much assumption, but she could sense a pinch of jealousy in his tone that caused her smile to grow.

Misunderstanding the fond smile she had along with her silence when he glanced at her, William could only return it with a smile of his own that in turn presented his sadness and acceptance as he continues. "If ever your love for me had already been swayed and slowly been directed towards him, I will accept it as it is, Y/N."

It was an undeniable fact that even just revealing such words, William could already feel a pang in his chest. Preparing himself to leave and not waiting for her response, he was surprised to feel himself being tugged back. It caused him to stop in further moving forward, glancing at her in return.

The fond smile she had remained along with her gaze filled with care and gentleness as she proceeded to answer him, wishing for him to understand what she's really hinting to much better. "You just need to accept the truth then. The truth that you are still the one I am choosing. We've been together through thick and thin and even though we haven't stated it in our vows yet, I promise that death will be the one to bring us apart."

Her grasp on the sleeve of his own black cloak that is similar to the one she's wearing as well soon changed to hold onto his gloved hand, squeezing it gently to direct her reassurance.

She frowned, smile faltering and dropping before she gloomily sighed. Looking back in the past and being concerned with a crucial detail of their relationship, she proceeded to reveal such detail to him. "Though I should be the one worrying with the pressure I have put you through with the supposed engagement. But please don't think that I did it for replacement. Don't ever doubt my love for you as I know and hope that you feel the same as well with the same degree as mine."

William could only softly hum, gently pulling her close to him before engulfing her in an embrace as a reassurance of his own answer.

------------~~~~~~~~~-------------

The encounter was made, successfully going through some nuisances that was currently taken care of by the others. Not already afraid of risking his true identity along with his companion, William stood hidden within the shadows of the room with an arm raised in front of him. It securely held a gun directly aiming at Milverton standing near the center of the room.

Hands raised in surrender, Milverton tries to talk his way out of the current situation of his, being careful since it might cause something unfortunate on his side. "Why don't we all remain calm about this? Will you at least hear out what I have to say?"

Milverton's arms subtly lowered itself upon hearing a creak behind him, knowing all too well on who could have been spying on them at the moment as he revealed. "So, you're here. And around the expected time."