Chapter XI: The Two Detectives Act 2 (Part I)

All five of them are still in a state of shock that even William's smile earlier had dropped to just a straight line on his lips that was the same expression that was worn by his brother while both Lestrade and Sherlock had their mouths slightly gaping. Y/N was the one who was able to regain her senses as she utters the name of her friend while looking at the bloodstain in concern, knowing that it would lead to a misinterpretation. Y/N hums in understanding as the ideas related to the murder were already starting to connect within her mind. Someone suddenly yells out from behind them, inquiring what the fuss is all about.

The five of them instantly looked behind to see two men wearing identical police uniforms with their respective police hat sitting atop their heads running towards their direction, immediately alerted of the situation as Lestrade asks upon realizing the people's profession. "The transport police?"

Upon arriving right in front of the compartment, the police who had yelled out earlier proceeds to take a peek in the same window of some sort of the compartment's door and the sight inside was not a very good one to witness for himself. It caused him to immediately ask in disbelief. "Wha---What's the meaning of this?!"

The police turn to face the passengers that are lined up behind him with John standing where he was positioned earlier, not moving a muscle since his arrival as he himself is unusually unable to move a muscle as he and the others wait for what the officer is about to say. 

"The Great Northern Railway Transport Police is in charge of this! Take this man into custody!" The officer demanded, pointing a gloved index finger towards John as his companion replies a yes before obeying. 

John blinks before he finally snaps out of his daze and starts to explain himself after he wonders whatever could be the reason of his arrest. With his hands by the side of his body earlier, after the arrival of the police in which he had placed them there after being hovered near the bloodstain, John looks at the stain with a palm on his chest level and raised just above the area. 

He tries to explain that what they think could have happened is not true. "Please, just a moment! It's not what you think! This blood isn't---Someone ran into me a moment ago while I was leaving the loo! I went back to my compartment and after a short while, I noticed the blood. Please, you must believe me!" 

John puts the palm of the raised hand on his chest as he takes a step forward after his declaration of innocence as a persuasion of it.

"We'll listen to what you have to say later. Come along!" The head officer didn't seemed to be convinced as he remarked before the officer that was ordered to take John into custody continued to obey his order, having a secure grip on John's left arm that made the doctor wince and grit his teeth. 

Before John could be restrained, Lestrade calls out to the officers who immediately give their attention to him.

"Just a moment, please. I'm Lestrade of Scotland Yard." Lestrade calmly stated that was directed to the other police officer. 

The fellow police officer immediately recognizes him, informing him that he had known about him because of his reputation for competence. 

Lestrade's small frown earlier vanished as he sheepishly rubs the back of his head, embarrassed by the reputation as the other two police officers look at each other in a silent conversation while Lestrade continues. "Yes, well... This is consulting detective Sherlock Holmes." 

Lestrade gestures a hand towards the said detective that made the other two look at the said person as the same police officer also recognized him yet again. "The famous detective?" 

Sherlock just gives a momentary glance at them before he casts his gaze away, seeming to be nonchalant by his own popularity.

"And the man whom you've cast your suspicion of murder upon is his friend, Dr. John H. Watson." Lestrade introduced Sherlock's companion next while he looks back again at John, who seemed to be silently asking for help based on his expression.