22 | Confront

Anastasia's POV:

He lays in my hold, still only his boxers from his bath. He fell asleep, not long after. My heart still hurts trying to figure out who did this to him.

And why...

I kiss his forehead and lay further into the bed.

How didn't I notice my own son being beat. I felt so guilty for letting this happen to him. I could have realized this sooner but I was too busy in my own life, to even notice anything about Elijah.

My door opened absurdly, making me flinch and glare at the unknown person.

"Shit. Sorry." Bruce came up to me with confused eyes.

"I though something happened, you didn't answer... Hey, why are you crying." He pulled me into his chest making me move away from Elijah.

I pushed him away and hugged Elijah again. I sniffle my tears back, trying to contain myself.

"Did I do something? Is it because I didn't give you attention? Sweetheart, I told you I was working." I shook my head, and held Elijah closer to me.

"Then what happened." I can trust him.

I lifted the covers and showed him Elijah's bruises. He got up with shock starring from both me to Elijah's stomach.

"Did you do that?" He pointed at his stomach and stepped away from me.

"Are you fucking stupid. You think I'd hurt Elijah." All the emotions turning from sadness to anger. How dare he think I hurt him.

I got up covering Elijah again.

"You fucker." I hit his chest with my balled fist.

"You think I would hurt my own son." I hit him again, but he doesn't move back or stop me. He just lets me hit him.

"You think I'd do that." I repeatedly hit him until he finally grabbed my wrist and pulled me into a hug.

"It's what the situation looked like. I'm sorry." He kissed the side of my head as I start sobbing in his chest.

"This is my fault. I let someone hit him." I cradle my own face with my hands trying to cover away.

"You didn't know." He tried to comfort me but it's not working.

"Exactly. I didn't know my own child was being abused. What kind of mother does that. I fucked up." I fall to my knees crying no longer being able to hold myself up.

"It's not your fault. Stop it."

"But it is." My voice was quieter than a whisper. I've failed. As a friend. As a mother. I've failed.

"Come here." He gets down pulling me into his chest and stroking my hair. Finding my strength I hug him back taking the comfort he gave me.

~•~•~

Elijah's POV:

I completely forgot about the bruises. My mind only thought of how happy I was being free from that place.

And being with Mama, made me so happy. I fell asleep in her arms, and I felt happy. Even though she found out about the bruises.

I silently listen to her blame herself for everything that happened to me. She cries with Bruce hugging her. He's a good person for Mama.

I try not making it obvious that I've woken from my slumber, but my slight movement made both Mama and Bruce turn their heads towards me.

My eyes shut tighter than I thought possible. I felt one of them get closer until they pulled my head away from the covers and into the daylight.