Chief Kalibari's Legacy.

Chief Ole Kalibari sat in his private Chambers cloaked in darkness. Only a single flame flickered on his majestic oak table. He had since dismissed his guards and stewards , the huge room was silent.

" Great Chief." he heard a familiar voice just outside his door.

"Enter general."

His first general in command General Gulazi walked in. He was a huge man who wore a permanent scowl hardened by years of war and a position of strict authority. He sat quietly and kept still, he knew not to disturb his chief at a time like this.

"Its all starting to fall apart." Ole Kalibari exhaled after a long period of silence. He leaned back his hands to the back of his head.

" I had a dream once, a fleeting dream that has taken years and years of painstaking effort. Carefully trying to piece it together slowly."

"This was to be my true legacy."

"Your legacy is like no others great chief, your era has been the most peaceful in all of our history."

"I talk of a united clan general. A united people like the days of legend, the past days of our almighty ancestor , the first Chief and Warrior Supreme Lukani."

"The Chief who united the people. That's how I wanted to leave it."

"Now its falling apart, after all these years of toil and patience. I am going to fail. I can feel it, I was so close."

He looked at his general, a man he had grown up with. A man who had bled and bore scars for his village. A man he had come to trust and respect over the years of brother hood. 

"In all these years great chief, I've never seen you brought down to your knees, whatever the situation, whichever the obstacle you always find a way to rise above it. Without fail."

"This too shall come to pass, we shall be victorious."

"Of this I have no doubt general, but at what cost. I fear that the dream of a united clan shall suffer."

"It may or it may not but my duty is to you and to Lekuta. This shall always come first."

The chief sighed deeply as he closed his eyes. He felt weary yet the journey ahead was already proving to be vigorous. Even his closest and most trusted ally did not embrace his deep desire for a united clan. He was a lone traveller on this road.

His mind went back to the failed kidnap. He knew this ruthless act would not be the last. It felt carefully planned, someone wanted the two clans at war. Someone with a deep resentment of what this peace represented. Someone who had resources and yes someone who held power. But who, was it someone from his ranks?

If only the current Mariani chief wasn't such a weakling. Together they would have arrived at the root of this portent matter quickly and decisively. He remembered the old grand chief Msitozi fondly. Together they had sat down as enemies and worked out the current peace treaty with fairness. They had put the people above all else , as true royalty should. He would have to do this alone.

" Have you noticed any changes within our council general? " Any inside factions beyond the usual suspects. I fear my eyes gave grown complacent. "

First General Gulazi clutched his hands, rubbing his thumbs deep in thought. The deep furrows evidenced his thorough thought process.

"You reckon it may be one of us.?" He asked his voice barely a whisper.

"I want to erase such doubts general, only then can we proceed to our next course of action. I want this to end quick."

The First General nodded, understanding the Chiefs line of thought.

"I haven't noticed anything that could raise eyebrows."

"Alright old friend. We however need to re evaluate the council and deputy generals once more. No doubt we have to cloak our intent."

"Can I entrust you in this.?"

"Without fail great chief. I shall begin preparations."

"Give it a few days, let the current uncertainties take root. It may cause an unintended slip up that could be vital to our cause. Be alert."

"Ever wise, I shall follow your advice."

"What's the status of our ongoing preparations. Did our neighbors suspect a thing?"

" All our regiments will be fully armed in two fort nights. Our neighbors remain ignorant as they were before our interactions."

"Our spies also sent reports that they too do not seem to be preparing for any large scale attacks."

Chief Kalibari nodded his approval.

"Good, that's good news. My late royal father taught me a vital lesson, its better to be prepared than to hope and pray."

"But still I do pray destiny doesn't lead us down that dark path."

*******