Suppressing the Royal Chief's Son.

A dull metallic bell rang through the shrill morning air stirring Moseti Kalibari up from a dazed groggy sleep. He groaned as he swung his legs to the floor and slouched. His lowered head throbbed as he tried to open his eyes. Every muscle he moved shot up threads of pain and fatigue through out his body.

Similar groans and wincing spread throughout the entire sleeping den as more tired and worn out Moran initiates struggled to wake up to yet another day in Shitu shrine.

Had it been a hundred days or more? Moseti had since lost count. All that filled his mind were the three menacing faces that were Head Scribe Kondobia's sadistic deputies and the torturous drills they had in store for them that day.

In truth it had been five weeks. For five weeks the new initiates had been subjected to intense, pain inducing drills. They had jogged for miles, round and round the large training field trudging along enormous logs of teak twice their weight. Many had fainted succumbing to the wrath of the three deputies.

This did nothing to soften the deputies vile hearts. They had carried each other and sprinted across the same accursed grounds. He could no longer count the constant push ups and pull ups they had endured.

However as they stood side by side at the center of the now hated grounds, they looked fitter, stronger and more like the Moran warriors they were to be.

"Whatever could be the matter deputy Tikulu? Our brave warriors look so gloomy." asked the approaching Head Scribe brazenly feigning deep concern.

The deputy scribe could only innocently shake his head and scratch his chin with weighted worry. Turning to his fellow torturers in crime, they too seemed lost for words.

" I think they may be homesick sir."

"You sly weasels." chuckled the chief scribe as he walked from end to end patting lowered shoulders and raising lowered chins.

"Alright lads, let's see how you've been fairing on."

Taking cue the deputies quickly had the initiates form a large enclosed circle around him before sliding away to vantage positions. Clearly they wanted to purely spectate what was to come next.

The Head Scribe stood at the center of the circle. Like a hawk he towered over all the initiates giving them that intense piercing look he was well known for.

Moseti sensed this was the chance he had been waiting for. He felt tired but lively. Looking across all the other initiates he understood that he had the most to gain. He remembered his father's words.

"Remember son, its the lead bull amongst the great wildebeests that leaps first into the raging crocodile infested waters. He leaps because he must lead. So that the rest of his herd can follow. This is his burden."

When Head Scribe Kondobia's stare reached him, he stared back just as intensely. 'Pick me' he dared inwardly and Kondobia's wise eyes understood at once.

"Step forward."

He proceeded to scan the rest of the initiates looking for another set of eyes that shone with intent. He settled on a brute whose eyes held an evil glint.

Moseti watched as Mulutu, one of his villages terrifying fighters stepped forward with a sinister smile on his face. Moseti cursed at his luck. He knew Mulutu always had a score to settle with him.

Mulutu had never liked Moseti Kalibari from the very beginning. Before Moseti came into the picture he was Lekuta's most promising warrior prodigy. He was even touted as the most probable choice of chief in his age group should a terrible occurrence occur. His future was truly bright.

Moseti had since learnt how to deal the likes of Mulutu and most of the times he just ignored their existence. He knew that not everyone was as pleased by him as they projected. Beneath the smiles and pleasantries some harboured envy and ill intent.

The fact that he was entitled by right to the best education and training that Lekuta had to offer, and that he would without a doubt get betrothed to Lekuta's most precious daughter after he ascended to chieftain did not help matters.

Now Mulutu had his chance, in front of the entire shrine and initiates - his future brothers in arms and future opponents he would thoroughly humiliate the pampered Moseti until he begged for mercy. There was no turning back now.

"Remember. Strength, speed, skill. Let your mind be your weapon." the head scribe re iterated as he gestured to the center of the circle.

The two combatants circled each other, each assessing his opponent, sizing each other up. They both wore faint friendly smiles but both knew that this was more than just a practice session. It was a long due battle for dominance.

Mulutu pounced first without warning. His fist fast and furious. It brushed past Moseti's left ear as he side stepped dodging what could have been a dizzying blow.

But Mulutu had his momentum right and his left knee found Moseti's sternum. As he reeled back he saw Mulutu's right arm recoil and he countered barely blocking. A series of furious fists rained on him and his earlier training back in Lekuta proved vital as he managed to block and evade them through sheer luck and instinct.

Moseti stepped back hurriedly distancing himself from his vengeful village mate. He bit his tongue as he ignored the pain that throbbed up his arms that had taken the brunt of Mulutu's swift powerful fists. His chest heaved heavily as he cursed for the umpteenth time.

His opponent who now wore a menacing smile was powerful, and he moved fast. Again Mulutu attacked , this time with a high kick. Moseti too moved, blocking it with his shoulder before lashing out a punch, his aim to knock out that smug look off Mulutu's face. But Mulutu's kick was strong, it threw him off balance and he missed his mark entirely.

He attacked again but each time Mulutu's strength proved sufficient to block all his efforts with ease.

"What's the matter Chief boy? Can't land a punch?" The brute goaded him. He then maimed a punch at him and Moseti stepped back much to the laughter of his nemesis.

Mulutu laughed like a maniac as he continued to maim and taunt Moseti never really finishing an attack. With each maim and with each step back Moseti knew it was his reputation and his name that received irreparable damage.

"Hahaha. Is this all the next Lekuta Chief amounts to!" Mulutu's unrestrained laughter reached the heavens.

He changed tact and unleashed a barrage of ferocious attacks. His confidence soaring as the besieged Moseti rapidly retreated in an unsightly manner buckling and swaying under his unrelenting assault.

It truly was not going well for Lekuta's young royal chief in line, and all the initiates, scribes and the heavens stood still to bear witness.

****