Johari Provokes the Chief's Son.

Old Kostilu himself was chuckling inside as he raised his right hand briefly to signal for calm once more.

"Now, now don't make this old man lose his hearing. Listen to this story of mine."

"Once upon a time, there existed a village much like yours. Now it came a time when three of its bravest warriors were assigned to sentry duty on the outskirts of their boundaries far south."

"Their orders were to stand guard, observe and immediately report any suspicious movements from their southern neighbors for there existed some current tensions between them at the time."

"The three warriors departed south and set up camp. It was quiet for the first four days. On the fifth day however things took an unexpected turn. Early in the morning the three warriors were treated to a huge shock as thick streams of smoke could be seen rising way back in the direction of their beloved village."

"Just what was happening? Were they being attacked? Thousands of questions assailed our three warriors, questions that neither could answer at the time and this brought forth a great disagreement amongst them."

"Just what were they to do as proud warriors sworn to protect their village? After a heated confrontation, these were their decisions."

"The first warrior recently married and with a three month old son decided to rush back at once to his family. What if they were in danger, crying out to him. How could he live with himself. He had to make sure they were safe."

"The second warrior was royalty. He also rushed back in haste. If it was truly an ambush the enemy would focus on his royal homestead. His kin would be captured or worse. He had to be there."

"The third had neither family nor was he royalty. He chose to stay behind and continue with the orders they had been issued. He continued to watch south."

"Rushing back to the village, the two warriors found out that the smoke was due to a fiery fire that had claimed two huts. The cause had been two mischievous boys who had been playing around with fire in their mothers hut."

"Now before I finish my tale for it ends disastrously. I want you all to tell me this. Amongst our three warriors who was right? who was wrong?"

Old Kostilu carefully watched the contemplating initiates after he asked this. This being an extremely valuable lesson that he wanted to impart, he needed to pick an initiate who had seen through the dilemma perfectly as this would stick more if it came from one of them.

His eyes landed on a familiar face.

"Ah my young friend, it seems that I shall have to rely on your wit." he chuckled to himself.

His hand raised out to Johari Tembo who held a somewhat frowning face as he digested Old Kostilu's words.

"Hmm... stage fright, did I think too highly of him." a hint of worry fleeted past the head scribes eyes but Johari's calm smile assured him his worries were unnecessary.

"What a bothersome old man. Didn't he pick up that I prefer some peace and quiet and not the limelight he just shone upon me." Johari groaned to himself as he saw all the eyes silently converge upon him.

He had pondered on the tale and come to various conclusions thus he decided to voice them out.

"This tale focuses on the conflict of duty that will no doubt arise in the near future within ourselves. The first warrior is torn between his duty to his family and loved ones and his duty as a Moran."

"This will be one of the hardest hurdles we will have to face as we have grown up around our loved ones and have very deep cherished ties with them. To most of us our families are our lives."

"The first warrior was wrong to choose his family over his duty as a warrior but I believe this is a choice most of us here would make without hesitation if not all of us. I can only ask for guidance from elder on behalf of all of us."

Old Kostilu nodded greatly appeased at the answer Johari voiced. Most of his peers too cast a second look at the unusually quiet initiate whose signature rough unkempt hair made him stand out.

There were really hidden gems within their ranks. It seemed that they needed to work a bit harder to make a name for themselves.

"As for the second warrior, he too was wrong." Johari continued after a brief pause.

He cast a quick glance at Moseti unintentionally and seeing his proud aloof face, not really putting anyone in his eyes he felt some anger well up inside him at once.

"As part of royalty he had an extra reason to lead by example, to be steadfast to ensure that not just him but the other warriors stuck to their assigned positions."

Old Kostilu nodded with a pleased smile, but what Johari said next wiped that smile from his old face faster than a deer in the wind.

"But because he was nothing more than a pampered brat as most royalty are, he put his selfish intentions first to rush back all the while secretly hoping his kin had come to harm so that he could have designs on the chieftain. He truly had a black heart that thirsted only for power."

"Huh !?! What in the blue heavens... How did this brat come to such drastic conclusions. I made the story as simple as possible.!" lamented Old Kostilu in his heart.

"Such unparalleled selfishness and a dark scheming heart may be non existent for a majority of us here but I too shall ask for guidance from elder on behalf of those that such a situation might apply to."

*****

Authors sidenote.

😂😂😂😂😂
I just have to say I had too much fun writing this. The face Old Kosti must have had.
🙂🙁😳😲😬