The Road to Shitu Shrine.

Johari Tembo shivered from the rather damp weather and fatigue that stuck to his bones. They had been walking south since dawn. They walked at a slow steady pace, divided into two large groups each guided by an elderly shitosi scribe.

The initiates had been mixed up before they embarked, Johari sensed it was a ploy to enact some familiriarity amongst the initiates during the long walk.

He was glad he was at least sorrounded by faces he all knew and that his 'old' pampered nemesis was as far away from him as possible.

Far away in the horizon, the sight of two low identical hills sorrounded by thick impenetratable thornbush made him inhale deeply. Would he make it to the very last day?

Behind him some Lekuta initiates chatted idly as they walked.

"I'm telling you we're lucky the chiefs son Moseti is with us. The scribes won't be so hard on us as they might want to."

" He will be chief soon, they will want to preserve his respect.'

Johari felt a pang of jealousy hit him.

"That pampered roaming brat Kalibari, already soliciting favours even before we begin our training." He muttered angrily but the due to his anger the words came out a little louder than he intended.

A rough hand suddenly shoved him from behind.

"You better mind your own business Mariani lowlife, don't you dare insult our chieftain.!"

Johari turned around to face a group of defiant and angry Lekuta initiates. A few Mariani initiates had also stopped and turned around as soon as the insults of the Lekuta initiates reached their ears.

"Just leave them be Eliya, they've got a sack load of problems as it is." A loud mouthed Lekuta initiate quipped.

" Yeah, I heard they don't even have a heir to their chieftain."

Snickers and silly grins spread throughout their group.

"Yeah, I heard their chief can't even sire a single son, although he is working hard day and night."

More cruel laughter erupted and Johari's temper flared up.

"You arrogant little ...., "

but arms grabbed Johari's chest and shoulders holding him back just as he sprung forward with his fists clenched tightly, his jaw set and with anger burning in his eyes.

"It won't do you any good Tembo, they are just baiting you. Look at where you are. There's a high chance you get exiled even before we enter the shrine if you continue." a fellow Mariani initiate was quick to advise.

" Yeah, let's finish this inside you idiots." another swore with clenched teeth.

Johari took in deep breaths, taking much effort to calm himself.

"You're right, now is not the time."

He turned around and with indifference ignored the resulting jibes and taunts that followed. This was why he liked it when it was just himself, just him and his thoughts. Alone.

"Thanks guys, aah I'm Johari." he uttered to the familiar faces, all the while trying hard to recall the names of his village mates. He simply was not good with names.

"That's alright , we'll have to look out for each other once we get there. Might as well start now right.? .... I'm Kimale "

"That's true , thanks again." Johari smiled at his 'new' friend. He then reminded himself to focus. And of the things he held dear in his heart.

"Remember who you are," his beloved grandma's voice echoed deep within.

"I am Johari Tembo, and I shall be the greatest Moran ever." he said with a low determined voice.

Kimale smiled as he observed on the side.

"Well he is used to being by himself, I guess it's only natural if he talks to himself abit." He thought.

Kimale felt drawn to this tall, lean figure that walked beside him. He had heard stories back in Mariani of the mystery sorrounding his birth. The Tembos were without child for many many years, suddenly one dark rainy night, a small emaciated infant had been placed outside their door.

Subsequent days of fervent searching for the infant's real parents had proved somewhat impossible as every infant and mother in Mariani and Lekuta had been accounted for.

The Mariani chief, keen to see the issue resolved had granted old mzee Tembo's request to keep the child. Thus in the Tembo homestead, Johari finally found the warmth and love of family.

"Is that why he always prefers solitude, does he feel like he isn't really one of us?" He wondered.

Kimale sighed and vowed to look out for him as he would his brother.

He would try and break those walls that Johari had built around himself for years. He would show him he was truly a part of Mariani.

Kimale tapped Johari's shoulder reassuringly as they continued to near the twin hills and the sacred shrine. The thick looming thornbush was now only a few kilometers away.

Hey guys, I officially welcome you to 2020. I apologise for the brief 3 month hiatus , a man's got to earn right. It's been a hectic couple of months but all in all I thank God.

But the passion never lessened, brave souls continues. Let's create one of the best authentic stories ever. A step at a time.

Johari's back! And he's back with a mystery..... where is he from? Mariani.? Lekuta.? Or someplace else.? Where exactly.. something to keep you up at night.. (evil laugh..)

Thanks for taking the time. I did not do a poem though 🤔.. my poetry juices are empty. See you in the next chapter.

Love you all.