Moseti Kalibari Fights Back.

Moseti was breathing heavily as he tried to focus his mind, to calm himself and lock out Mulutu's words and vicious taunts. He locked out all his piling unbearable thoughts and all the encircling judging eyes.

He locked out everything but one image resisted. This all encompassing image persisted. Instead it filled his entire mind and it was only much later that he came to understand what it was.

It was his fear. But at that moment he did not know this. At that moment what it was the image of his father's stern face. His father's unmoving, authoritative face devoid of any emotion.

"You too father. . You too think me weak.!"

The face was still unmoved. Looking down on him from his royal throne up high.

"Get out of my head. I don't need you to hold my hand."

How could an empty stoic face hold so much judgement.

Mulutu sensed his opponent had grown preoccupied and let down his guard. He let out a sinister laugh thinking that it was his taunts that had unravelled the young Kalibari.

"Hmmph.. So you only amount to this. You are not fit to lead our Lekuta.!"

"Today everyone will see the fake coward that you are." He laughed out loud.

But he shouldn't have laughed. As the scornful laugh reached Moseti's ears, something inside him broke. Before him he no longer saw the large domineering bully before him. No , before him was a familiar beast. One that had hounded him all his life.

Before him was the beast that was all the uncertainties, all the fears, all the expectations that always weighed down on his heart every passing moment of his life. This beast morphed before him and laughed with a sinister most scornful tone.

Moseti could not take it anymore. He let out a mighty roar from the bottom of his soul. With all his pent up rage he charged spearing the surprised Mulutu off his feet. The two struggling fighters flew a few feet in the air before tumbling down mightily in the dust as the spectating circle went up in cheers.

Rolling away from the tough impact on his back, Mulutu was half way on his feet when Moseti's left knee jarred his jaw helping him up. Now staggering backwards he was unable to stop Moseti who was in mid air both feet stretched.

The double kick was clinical and the brute Mulutu was thrown past the enclosed circle of initiates tumbling down in the dust once more with two other unlucky victims. Moseti followed him swifttly and fell on him, his furious fists met the dazed Mulutu's previously smirking lips and nose turning them bloody.

"That's enough!" Head Scribe Kondobia booming voice cleared Moseti's hazy mind. His eyes cleared and the beast before him evaporated to leave behind Mulutu's bloodied mangled face.

"Excellent. Excellent!" Chief Scribe Kondobia clapped as he walked to the center of the circle.

"You took time to seek out and probe your opponents strengths and exposed his biggest weakness. His stupid cockiness."

" You took too much time however standing still like that. A more serious combatant could have used that moment to floor you."

"Next time devise your strategy as you engage. But we are headed in the right direction."

Moseti nodded at the head scribe, noticing he was pleased with his display. Although the devising and strategizing part was pure jibberish on his part. As Moseti walked back he looked around the circle that surrounded him and saw the respect in their eyes.

"As for you foolish delinquint, you had the fight in your grasp and you ended up pissing it away. Your stupid cockiness will be your death. Go reflect on that in the medical yard. Pathetic." Head Scribe Kondobia berated the shamed Mulutu and sent him off packing. He glanced back casting a vengeful look at the chiefs son who had walked back to his circle of brothers high in spirits.

"Way to show them how its done Mo.." A grinning Kimono winked at Moseti.

"So you were hiding your skills all along.. Haha . and that fool thought he had bested you." Kimu patted his shoulder in praise.

"Alright. Everyone pair up." Deputy Scribe Nandwa emerged taking cue from his Head Scribe as Kondobia waved the circle away and headed back to his quarters.

" Everyone has seen what's required from the top display just concluded."

"Pair up and begin duels. Remember the effective combination of all the elements. Start.!"

The Deputy beckoned to Moseti to come by his side and recuperate as the rest of the initiates began their training matches.

" Not bad for a newbie , I'll have watch my back around you."

"Haha Tread carefully Deputy , I have half a mind to return some gratitude for the weeks you put us through."

All the deputies laughed mischievously.

" Haha.. be merciful young chief. Come, let's watch the others grovel in the dirt."

Later on as they partook in their evening meal, Moseti was in an exuberant mood. He had made more friends and allies even from Mariani. This was just the beginning, he would strive more, exert himself more, be the best in each and every task that they would undertake.

By the time they left this place as warriors, each and every Moran warrior would hold him in high regard irrespective of which hill they called home. He was their leader. He was their champion.

A quick thought of the carefree Mariani herds boy passed his mind. Did he witnessed my brilliance today.?

"Haha he must be squirming in envy."

Moseti had earlier watched him during his one on one training as he playfully engaged a village mate of his. There was never a serious moment with that herds boy. Moseti tried looking for him amongst the crowd but he could not place him.

"Ever hiding away from me, aren't you." He smiled .

"You won't hide forever herds boy. Very soon I'll put you in your place and wipe that silly grin off your face."

As Moseti finished the last of his sour gravy soup he wondered why everything about that herds boy irritated him so much.

*****