Becoming Morans.

Johari opened his eyes and stared at the grass thatched roof slowly, following it's broad overlapping patches up, upto it's cone shaped apex. But his mind was far away, his heart was unsettled.

He closed his eyes again. He had been doing this ever since he lay down to sleep. Now the early cocks crowed announcing it was dawn. Today was finally here.

He swung his legs down and sat up.

"Today I start my journey to become a warrior." he said aloud.

"or a become a massive failure and a laughing stock." a negative thought fleeted past.

He somehow thought the sentence would bring a sense of fulfillment but he was nervous. He felt thirsty.

He reached for his shuka (garment) and fastening it, stepped out into the cool morning. He headed to the family well just next to his grandmother's hut. Some smoke could be seen rising just by the hut, the fireplace.

"Morning grandma," he greeted the old woman with a low bow as a sign of respect.

She looked up, her eyes smarting from stoking the fire.

"Ah, my son it is you. Sit next to me you must be thirsty."

Johari felt his heart warm up as he squatted next to her. Somehow she always knew what he needed. He would really miss her, he realised.

Johari accepted the water guard and took a long sip as she studied his face.

"Here have this."

She handed him a beautiful beaded bracelet.

"Your grandfather wore one just like this when it was his time."

"It represents courage and most of all family."

Johari smiled as he put on the ornament. He felt his unsettled heart become as calm as the gentle breeze.

He took her left hand and placed it on his forehead, it was an act to receive his grandmother's blessing.

"It will always remind me of home. Thank you."

"It's been nothing short of a blessing my dear boy," she touched his cheek softly then rested her palm on the left side of his chest.

She closed her eyes to feel nothing else, only that rythmic beat of his heart.

"I'll always be here son. I'm with you always."

Johari sensed a sad resignation in her voice.

"I'll come back soon, I promise."

She smiled and shook her head.

"No my boy, don't think about me. You are the majestic African eagle, but you have always been caged. It's finally your time to fly. I see it in your eyes my son, I always have."

"Wherever you go my Johari, do not forget who you are. Where you're from."

"Let this be your pillar of strength, the firm ground upon which you stand tall. Make us all proud."

Grandmother and grandson quitely watched the sun rise up slowly over the horizon. The silence between them speaking volumes. Of that which could not be said but could be felt in every ounce of their being.

One day, One time.

some day,
and trust that this day shall come,
paths that once crossed,
shall part,
streams that once we're a mighty river,
shall dwindle and split.

such times shall unfold a doubt so dark,
such times shall dim all that you hold fair and just,
as there's nothing harder to part with,
than that which the heart has grown fond of.

all that will be left,
is hope & conviction,
that only compares,
to a saints belief in heaven,
that one day, one time,
you shall meet again.

Fin.

Thanks guys for reading and following our warriors to be on their journey. It only gets better. What do you think of the poem. I want to continue writing them at the end of chapters. I feel they give the characters more depth, although it's a little unconventional.

Please Like, Vote, Comment and share. It means the world. Comment MP for more poems. 😎😎 . Thanks and blessed week ahead.