Johari meets Old Kostilu.

Johari walked slowly across the huge compound away from the eating den. His eyes were closed and he felt the moons soothing embrace.

'To return a warrior" Head Scribe Kondobia's phrase replayed constantly on his mind.

He stopped and breathed in the night air. The coming days would not be easy but the endless Sereti gave him hope, reminded him of why he had to become a Moran.

"Beautiful night isn't it." a soft voice spoke just a head of him.

"Few understand the moons energy, many hinge on the sun's hot fiery energy to spark their days but the moon's energy is cool, more subtle , more special."

"Head Scribe Kostilu , forgive me. I thought to take a short walk to get away from the noise."

"No worries, no worries at all my young friend."

"Sometimes within yourself is sufficient company. I'm also doing the same."

"So shall we ..." Old Kostilu kindly gestured forward with a warm smile.

Head scribe Kostilu and Johari Tembo walked west away from the din and noise , into the calm of the night in silence. The moonlight formed short shadows along the path they took, the cool wind adding a soft whistle to the otherwise calm night.

"So what do your friends call you son."

"I'm Johari Tembo, chief scribe."

"Please call me Kosti, it helps roll back the years." He laughed softly.

Johari smiled, he felt a connection to this elderly scribe as he watched him walk slowly, hands behind his back, his amused eyes looking down at his feet as if he was childishly counting his steps.

"I'm Johari, from Mariani. My grand father was a mighty Moran warrior before he umm.. got wounded."

"Ah, I see. A veteran survivor of the old times." Old Kostilu replied still not looking up.

" And my guess is that Johari Tembo is here to uphold the family pride. To be a warrior just as his brave grandfather had once been."

The silence that followed made Old Kostilu look up. He met the young Johari's gaze and followed it up to the night sky, up to the shiny twinkling stars.

"Ah it appears you seek something else quite entirely."

"Huh, I don't understand."

"Escape my boy, you simply seek to be free."

Johari halted his steps. He felt light suddenly as all those years of being misunderstood fell off his chest. Where he had held onto so much for so long.

"Its nothing but a mere dream, long forgotten. We are born into our lives. Its not our place to question this, our duty is to find contentment and to live it."

"As it was intended." Old Kostilu too had stopped and he looked up at the starry dark night.

Old Kostilu was suddenly intrigued by this Mariani lad. What curious and eager mind. Mature at such a tender age the young man yearned for answers, he yearned for purpose.

"Yes, as it was intended." Johari affirmed. His voice carried with it a tinge of sadness.

"Come, let's sit here." Old Kostilu gestured as he sat by the path on the cool grass.

"This world as you know it, does it seem perfect?"

"Do you see it's fairness, its balance at every turn.?" The head scribe asked softly as he leaned back resting on his hands, his legs sprawled out in again an innocent and childish way.

Johari sat upright, his knees held close enclosed by his arms. His face rested on his knees. He was lost in thought.

" It never is at first but nature eventually finds its balance."

" Exactly my young Johari. Nature always finds its balance. It must and thus fates must collide. But tell me this does the gazelle simply stand still as the leopard attacks because it is born as prey."

Johari shook his head, finding wisdom in old Kostilu's voice.

"And what of the mighty desert cactus. Does it wither up and die because it finds itself under the desert suns scorching presence."

"No, the mighty desert cactus waits for night and its sinks its roots. And how deep they sink."

The Head Scribe looked deeply into Johari's face and smiled as he saw his perception slowly change as he took it all in.

"You see young Johari I want you to see why the mighty cactus stands tall."

"It's not because it was intended to. No. Its because it willed itself to conquer the almighty desert sun while all the others around it even the mighty oaks dried up and died."

"So my question to you is, shall you also stand tall or shall you wither up away as it was intended."

"Nature itself like life is harsh, unyielding and unforgiving. But all that thrive here in these lands we call home are the strong willed. The conquerors. The kings."

"To stand up tall against the desert sun." Johari spoke more to himself than to old Kostilu.

And at that moment, as the moons glow fell on the two lone figures sitter by the footpath, Johari's long forgotten dreams resurfaced. Long suppressed by years of frustrations and grim reality, they erupted and filled his mind that he felt dazed.

He lay on his back with a smile and a fire in his eyes. He would become Mariani's strongest warrior. He would make the vast glorious Sereti his home and finally venture forth to explore it to the very horizons and back. Free . Unfettered. A king in these lands. His lands.

"Old Kostilu, thank you."

The bald head scribe laughed and together they watched the vast stars that twinkled in the peaceful night skies.

**********