Entering Shitu Shrine.

Located at the base of the twin Shitu hills to the extreme west of Sereti Plains, Shitu Shrine was truly without equal. The shallow valley was surrounded by a thick forest of impenetrable thorn bush with only a single path in and out.

It was here that the father of the clan Lukani and Aika the Spirit God had lay waste a pride of ferocious beasts that had dared attack his home and his family. His pride and joy.

On this revered valley the pact between the human world and the spirit world was born. A sacred way of life, passed on from generation to generation. Here mere men became much more, here they became Morans, warriors.

From above the sacred valley took a distinct oval shape, like a huge eagles nest perched in between two hills. At the very center was the main training grounds with perfectly maintained paths that led to the various yards.

South to the initiates sleeping quarters and communal eating den, west to the weapons and utilities pavilion, and finally to the respective individual head scribes yards to the north. At the very apex north was the most revered yard where the supreme head scribe Ole Gatu resided.

*********

"Young initiates you stand here today as many others before you have."

"You stand here today because it is the will of our ancestors. Because in you is a potential warrior who will stand firm in the face of danger to protect his people. To protect them with his life."

Supreme Head Scribe Ole Gatu stood at the main entrance of Shitu Shrine. His gray hair and beard flowed down to his chest reflecting his revered countenance as he spoke softly.

It was rumoured he was essentially an ultimate kai warrior and the sole spiritual link to the spirit world in the shrine. He commanded so much awe that the whole land seemed to still in silence in his presence.

"I trust you shall listen to what I say next as your life shall depend on it." The supreme head scribe paused looking at the lines of fresh initiates with intense eyes.

"This is the holiest place in all of Sereti. Within this shrine Our revered spirit god Aika descended to become one with our founding father Lukani. Here where you all stand, was formed a pact that is the very essence of our warrior culture."

"This shrine shall be accorded the divine respect it deserves."

He saw it sink in their eyes and he nodded, then he gestured to his first of three head scribes then walked back to his shrine, living up to his reputation of being a man of few words.

The head scribe that stepped up was a giant of a man. Head scribe Kondobia was not a man known to waste time and he began immediately.

"You are all here to become men, you shall train hard and fast. You will give it everything you have and tomorrow you will give some more."

"You all left your homes mere children, but by my rugged fists you will not go back as such."

"You will return warriors"

"I'm I not clear!" He growled , soliciting a chorus of affirmation from the young initiates.

"Yes sir ! Chief Scribe sir!" 

He paused gesturing with his right hand.

"This is Head Scribe Terazzi, master warrior in charge of the second division, weaponry. He shall mould you into experts of the spear, sword and bow."

Head Scribe Terazzi was a head shorter, with a stern jaw. His body was steely hardened by years of moulding young initiates into warriors.

"This is Head Scribe Kostilu, keeper of the scrolls." Head Scribe Kondobia gestured to the last head scribe. He was bald, a bit plump and his eyes looked keen but not on what was before him.

"He is also the shrines healer and master herbalist. With him you shall be imparted of our peoples rich history as well as vital herbs found in this wild jungle we call home."

"You shall be introduced to their deputies together with the rest of the scribes later on. For now enter, rest, we begin at dawn."

The head scribes left without further interaction. Their deputies took over and lined up the initiates in single files where the initiates were duly recorded in a new scroll and ushered in to Shitu Shrine.

****

In a spacious eating hall , Moseti took a bite of the delicious venison meat and sipped his luscious bowl of soup. He felt elated at being away from Lekuta and at the promise the coming days held.

"Here we are brothers, we made it to Shitu. Its just as I imagined it."

The hum and din of excited talk inside the eating quarters was lively. On their first night at the shrine the initiates ate and happily discussed the upcoming days.

"Head Scribe Terazzi seems like a true master, I can't wait to begin his training."

"Everyone knows you can't swing a sword to save your life Kimono" Komu chided.

"Your loose tongue will be your downfall Komu and that day swiftly approaches. You shall be begging me for mercy as I step on your face."

Moseti laughed at his brothers in arms petty conflicts. He himself was not worried, he had been training with the elite royal guard ever since he could walk. He knew most of the initiates in this hall were mere herds boys and hunters.

He thought of the scrawny Mariani herds boy and smiled wickedly.

"I'll show you a real fight now herds boy."

He scanned the spacious hall but somehow could not locate his childhood nemesis.

"Already hiding from me are you now?"

"You can't hide forever, you'll meet your fate very soon. I'll happily crush that stupid ever wandering gaze of yours to the dust."

Moseti Kalibari went back to his soup and lively discussions with his brothers on which training sessions were most attractive and of the increasingly unpopular historical sessions with the bald Head Scribe Old Kostilu.

***********