The Dark Well.

Leopard warrior Mbutu lay crouched deep within a rough thorny patch of shrub just a stones throw away from the main Mariani well. He knew the thick thorny foliage restricted any wondering eyes and curious idle feet. It also meant his vision was hindered  and he would have to rely on his sense of hearing alone.

He had positioned his fellow hunters on each side of the path back towards the village and they were waiting stealthily for the pounce.

He had held this position for hours, eyes closed, his ears alert. Picking up voices, conversations, his mind conjuring up images of the would be owners, waiting patiently for that vulnerable moment.

"I told you to wake me Kaineti! Look at the time."

"I'm sorry Ayanna , I got confused...."

"You ran off with that boy again, didn't you?.. you wretched girl."

(giggles and laughter)

"Aunt Letisho will surely kill me when she finds her water pots empty."

" Not really, you don't have to fill them up completely. Just two quick fetches will fill up all three of them at least halfway."

" Yes. Yes. Then I can claim someone must have used up some of her water after I filled them."

(more giggles and laughter..)

"But look at you Kaineti you already done and I'm only starting. It's so unfair and it's all your fault."

"Quit whining.. just hurry up and you'll be done too."

Hidden in his thorny shrub Mbutu smiled wryly, " aah an unknowing prey nears the leopards den."

He listened to the two receding sets of footsteps, first sloshy and slippery then as they became soft and faded away slowly.

then silence...

still silence...

more silence...

hurried footsteps, incoming. One set.

He opened his eyes and observed the darkening skies, he smiled again.

a pot then hit the water softly.

It's time.

Mbutu  hooted twice, a signal. Then he waited for the familiar receding footsteps and sloshing dancing sounds of a pot full of water.

Ayanna stretched her back and looked back at the darkening path back to her village.

"Which bird was that?"

She felt somewhat uneasy. However her aunt's scolding face surfaced in her mind and she shrugged of that uneasy feeling at once. She picked up her pot balancing it on her head and started back.

"Nothing will happen. Nothing ever happens." Her thoughts reassured her.

But those thoughts proved to be so wrong as two dark men suddenly emerged in front of her. Her scream was halted in her throat by a rough hand on her fragile neck as the pot crashed down and broke into pieces wetting her legs.

A sharp sudden blow to the back of her head saw her world suddenly go dark.

Mbutu emerged from behind snickering cynically, " So sorry beautiful, I'm sure we shall introduce ourselves properly later on."

"Bind her quickly. Follow me."

He had chosen a route south of the village hill beforehand, through the thick shrubbery and crowded trees. In the shadows they could reach the forgotten lands unseen.

But time was of essence for soon the homestead would notice something was amiss and exercise some concern. If that happened then soon the whole village would be alert which could lead to a dire situation.

He led his two warriors , who had hoisted the girl between their two shoulders. Quietly and quickly through the bushes  and in between the dark trees, their movement was the epitome of stealth.

Mbutu was beyond elation. He loved the thrill of the hunt. He loved the feel of excitement coursing through his body, his heart beating fast, his senses alert.

He could imagine the admiration on his captain commanders face. After today he would sit on the right hand of his general. He could see it. Everything was going on as planned.

But.

The seasoned Warrior and Hunter felt a chill up his spine. He looked around and the frown on his face deepened. His instincts, honed by countless of hunts and conquests told him he was being followed.

And he could not shake the uneasiness that clouded and flooded his heart at once.

Fin.

Dropping Double chapters just coz I can. 😎😎.

Poor Ayanna has been kidnapped by the vile leopards.!

What do they want? What's their bitter story?

Will she be saved?

Only time will tell. It's called a cliffhanger. (Evil laugh).

The saga continues. Thanks for taking the time.

Still no poetry mood thou. 🤔 Someone told me Poetry is all about love. I should find me someone to love in 2020. 😎

See you in the next chapter.
✌️✌️