The Initiation Ceremony.

The rains had drizzled the previous night, the ground was soft with small pools of rain water scattered in the grassy fields. The path Johari and his grandfather had taken was trodden with lots of muddy footprint casts. Big footprints, small footprints. Johari tried fitting them to their imaginary owners, the early birds. He was in the best of moods, he was going to experience this ceremony for the first time in his life.

"Are they going to sing and dance?"

"Yes."

"What else happens?"

"The morans and the chiefs will be....."

"What do the morans do? Do they fight?" Johari asked impatiently jumping up and down the path using his herd stick to perform intense mock fights.

"Off with your childish ways you rascal," the old man lamented, " I'll hand you sound beating and send you back to your grandmother."

That quietened down the impatient Johari as they approached the ceremonial Kibu plain. The ground here had long dried up through out generations of ceremonies and processions. The ground was usually hardened and cracked but the previous nights drizzle had softened it, quenched its thirst.

It was still a little cloudy and chilly but no one would let the day be gloomy. Today was their day and the mood was exuberant.

The earlier procession had been Mariani and they lined up their morans to be at the forefront as was the custom. Just behind the morans who stood proud, the rest of the village gathered. The old Mariani songstress began to sing with her beloved infectious voice. She moved as she sang and the crowd moved with her.

Ululations and different song came from the left as Lekuta arrived in pompous fashion. The two groups came together, the two songstresses embraced in mutual respect and sang in unison as the people mingled and sang along joyfully.

Soon the people were sitted and and the initiates were lined up before them. Royalty had their traditional wooden stools and were sitted at the front . The crowd grew quiet as it was time for their respective chiefs to give their official speeches and begin proceedings. There would be various village dignitaries speaking then plenty of food and dance later.

The Lekuta chief stood up. He was well known to both villages. Chief Ole Kalibari held everyone in his eyes, he had this presence. He was tall and the years had been kind. His massive voice boomed and everyone was keen.

"This day has been marked by the heavens. Today we all come together to bestow upon this young men a destiny. An honour like all those who came before them. To protect our way of life. For peace, for prosperity, for our people."

As Chief Kalibari continued with his moving speech, Johari noticed a somewhat familiar face and it took a while before it hit him. The rich brat from the plains was casually sitted next to the chiefs empty seat.

Confused he turned to his grandfather who was starting to nod off.

"Grandpa, who is that boy sitted over there?"

The old man looked at the direction Johari was pointing, then he looked at him. He noticed the hint of familiarity.

"That is Moseti Kalibari, the one and only son of Chief Kalibari and next in line to the Lekuta chieftain."

He saw Johari tense up.

"If I were you I would think twice before taking any rash actions. Even if you two have unfinished business, it will only bring you trouble."

"You two are of different worlds after all."

Pensive, Johari cursed and got up to get away from him. As far as he could. As far as he was concerned, his day had been ruined by him being there.