The Peace Treaty Meeting.

"I'm glad you made it Royal Chief Msitozi, council men." The Lekuta Chief's voice boomed as soon as the envoy settled down in the Chiefs official chambers.

"It would please me greatly, if we embark on the situation at hand for it is dire and requires our immediate input." Ole Kalibari began at once.

The entire chamber became silent at once, they recognized authority.

Chief Kalibari surveyed the men infront of him as he collected his thoughts. He was confident that these men could and would cure this emerging blemish that was threatening to destroy the peace, threatening to destroy his legacy.

"We're deeply saddened by the news of the recent attempted kidnap. This council will be witness that upon news reaching us, we undertook a vigorous investigation at once."

"I can say with absolute certainty to you Chief Msitozi, that we are not in any way involved in this heinous attack." Chief Kalibari emphasized with a truly sincere voice.

"We also had news of the spirit mediums that visited Mariani a while back, could this be their doing?" a Lekuta council man enquired.

"It would not be above them."

"I strongly differ with that! The spirit mediums choose their apprentice after every three generations, and she always bears the mark of the chosen." A Mariani council man countered angrily.

"Yes, the tshamari and her legion need not hide in the shadows to kidnap girls." Ole Kikuu added in a sarcastic accusing tone.

"Watch your tone spokesman, you are at the Chiefs Royal Chambers not your measly own backyard.!" Ole Koloe pointed at his nemesis sternly. He would not be outdone in his own turf.

"Or what, will you kidnap this old man too."

"You dare .!"

The mood was getting fiesty, Chief Kalibari raised his arm to calm down the voices of dissent that had started to rise from both sides.

"Alright, alright council men, personally I have a huge distrust for the tshamari but they do not kidnap. But their recent presence after disappearing for so long, its indeed peculiar."

"It's a sign that they may have foreseen something. And if its them then its probably nothing good. It never is. It seems there are forces in play here, forces fast gaining momentum, forces that want to destroy this peace we have struggled so much to preserve all these years."

"Which forces do you speak of, are they external"

"The only forces are between us two villages, so you mean either Mariani or Lekuta is plotting against the peace treaty!?"

"Mariani has kept its promise!"

"Are you implying Lekuta hasn't!"

"You tell us. Your Chief speaks of forces and it is we who have been attacked. What are we to believe."

"You dare.! The Chief was just speaking his mind according to the facts at hand. Is your intellect this lacking."

"It's better to be lacking in intellect but not in morals. To kidnap a little girl, how shameless.!"

"You insolent pig.. You ..."

"Yes, Mariani is a peaceful community with peace loving people. Why do you pester us so.?"

"What inflated egos, why would we bother with the likes of you peasants.!"

"Lekuta prides itself in its development and civility, take a look around surely we have more things to do than waste time plotting against our poor emaciated good for nothing neighbours.!"

"You dare ..!"

As Chief Kalibari watched the escalating distrust and vigorous tongue lashing between the two councils, his heart bled. He saw the years of peace and tranquillity crumble down slowly with every insult shouted and with every expletive hurled.

Couldn't they see that this is what the enemies wanted, to have them at each others throats.

He looked at Chief Msitozi sitted directly opposite, he had hardly talked and he seemed so pre occupied, worried. He decided to appeal to him. Together they could influence the warring council men and similarly the entire communities. Together they could make a meaningful decision.

"Respected council men, as leaders of both villages you represent the beliefs and will of the people. And from this we can tell that the rift between Mariani and Lekuta has drastically widened."

Abruptly Chief Kalibari stood up tall and raised his hand towards Chief Msitozi.

"But how long have we known each other great Chief, how long have our families known each other. We have existed as good neighbours. We have shared water wells, grazing grounds, ceremonies, all that is good and bad in this Sereti plains we have shared." 

The entire hall of council men nodded in agreement, rolling back the years in their minds.

"And we still can continue as we always have.. . . . as the tides change we need to be stronger, together and fight this threat as one, whether it is inside our walls or out there."

"What do you say Chief Msitozi, take my hand let's unite and fight this together."

################

The heat is on! The council can't wait to bite each others heads off. (Hehe had fun with this one)

But Chief Kalibari has risen to the ocassion, he calls out to Chief Msitozi to do the same.

Does the Mariani Chief have the balls.. Ahem the guts or will he hide in his turtle shell of cowardice.

The peace depends on it.

Let's find out on the next chapter.
Thanks readers . See you in the next one. :-)