Uproar in Old Kostilu's Yard.

The silence that followed Johari's second answer could have swallowed the stars. Mouths were wide open in shock and disbelief. Awkward glances were thrown between Johari as he stood unperturbed and at Moseti Kalibari as he sat on the very far left of the gathering. His fiery eyes brimming with agitation were locked on Johari not quite believing what he had just heard.

"You conceited brat! Has your neck simply grown tired of carrying your useless head!" Kimeto , Moseti's brother in arms who was seated next to him stood up and lashed out in vexation.

Never in his life had he witnessed any speck of disrespect thrown at his friend and sworn brother, their next chief in line to make matters worse.!

Johari ignored the outburst. He did not even look in his direction.

"You..!" Kimeto's anger erupted and he leaped forward to ready to pounce on Johari. His actions emboldened his fellow band of brothers as well as several enraged Lekuta initiates who could not take the insult lying down. They ganged up on Johari in furious momentum.

Seeing this some Mariani initiates were up in a matter of seconds, surrounding Johari while casting menacing glances at their opponents daring them to do anything.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" Old Kostilu's voice broke above the din of curses and expletives that were currently being exchanged with artful animosity.

"Any fighting in my premises will result in immediate disqualification.!" This sentence alone was enough to quieten down the rowdy crowd. They slowly reclaimed their previous spots though the glances they exchanged were anything but pleasant.

Old Kostilu sighed as he glanced at Johari who still stood calmly and oblivious as he had been despite him being the prime castigator of the ruckus and then at Moseti Kalibari who was still seated as he had been. He displayed huge maturity and restraint that befitted his stature but he could not hide his tightly clenched jaws and murderous bloodshot eyes that glared solely at Johari Tembo.

Old Kostilu rubbed his chin deep in thought. His assessment of Johari was that he was a quiet lad who loved to keep to himself and clearly disliked confrontations. Why would he choose to poke the hornets nest and infuriate Lekuta's heir to the chieftain??

Was there some bad history between the two. He however stopped his train of thought as the animosity and tensions was almost palpable. First he needed to diffuse this ticking time bomb, he would investigate this matter later on.

"Now, now listen to this old man. Just outside these humble walls you are being forged into warriors to be able to protect your own. But in here it is my task to nurture your minds and hearts. A warriors mind and heart must always be free of hatred. For hatred breeds forth grudges and grudges that are left to simmer can only beget war and death."

"Anyone who succumbs to hatred in front of this old man as a result of any provocation of any kind shall be in my eyes considered a failure. For a warrior is one who is able to maintain a calm heart and mind amidst the most calamitous of situations."

The initiates regained their wits. They gazed at Johari who remained calm and to Moseti who had remained sitted and all felt some level of respect and resolved to emulate them.

"Alright let's continue. You may sit down Johari."

"The tale I just narrated is not fiction. This is a tale that will happen to each and every one of you in due time."

"A time shall come when you shall have to choose between duty and family, between duty and friendship, between duty and your beliefs, principles and possibly even your own lives."

"This is the single greatest battle you will ever face as a warrior. A battle within yourself. One that many of you will lose if your not careful. And the moment you lose this battle you will no longer be a warrior and your demise will be close at hand."

"Believe me I have seen it happen many times through out all this years."

The silence that followed told Old Kostilu his message had hit home.

"Rise, today's session is concluded. Go on ahead, seize the day but in your own free time I want you to look deep into your hearts for that which you hold dearest and know that to be a true warrior you will put your duty before them."

*******