The Case So Far...

"So you have a lot of questions and I have to answer them right now. Am I right Daniel?" Fisher smiled.

"Isn't it natural, Fisher?" I said.

"Ok, Ok, ask your questions one by one. I will try my best to answer them." He said.

"How did you know that there could be any document with that man, who died yesterday?"

"Umm...It was just a guess Daniel, nothing much. When I looked into his eyes I felt the fear he had. The fear of death! So I assumed that he is not one of them. Means not one of the members of our persecutor's gang. So it's natural for a person with a fear of death to have a diary or something like that to note down some last chapters of his own life." He explained.

"The same as what Anne Frank did?" I asked.

"Exactly!" He said.

"Ok. Second question. You requested Harrison to deploy some of his men in front of our house before we left for the interrogation session. You knew that something was going to happen. Didn't you?"

"Yes, I did."

"But how?"

"Well, when I was returning back from the police station I noticed that old man who was following me the previous day. He was keeping an eye on all the activities happening in our house from his hideout. He did not escape my eyes, however. But till then I didn't know why he was doing so. Like there was a reason that he kept an eye on our house so that he could inform our activities to his boss. But my suspicion grew stronger because at that time there was none of us inside the house. So why he was still gazing at that house? Is there anything important for him or his band inside that house? Suddenly I remembered your words that you had found a diary in the victim's pocket. Immediately I understood that the diary is a special thing and it needs protection. Therefore, I asked Harrison to deploy some constables for guarding our house, or better I say guarding that diary."

"Okay! That's why when the body arrived at the police station you just checked whether your assumption of false beard and mustache is right or wrong by pulling it." I said.

"Correct," he agreed.

"Now, what made you so sure that Charles would not have survived if he had followed the route directed by our persecutor?"

"That's simple. A hired shooter is only hired for his job to shoot someone. His job is over as soon as he shoots, and he is no longer in contact with his client. So it's very unnatural that a client is deciding how to escape from the crime spot for the shooter. Plus I believe that the persecutor is trying to remove all those persons who are being used by him for threatening or contacting us by any means so that there will be no living clue to get to him. According to this theory, Charles may have suffered the same fate as the previous victim if he had taken that path." He stated.

"You surprise me every time with your theories and assumptions Fisher." I laughed. "You said that you wanted the diary to be guarded. That means there is no doubt that the man with that get-up and the man who attacked you both wanted to retrieve the diary from you. But where is it now? Did the mastermind take it with him?"

"Nopes."

"What? So where is it?"

"It is still there where you kept it yesterday morning." Fisher smiled.

"What does that mean? You had taken that diary with you in your room. How did it return to its previous place?" I exclaimed.

"Well actually, I forgot to take it with me when I entered my room. But that mistake gave us a huge advantage. We still have that diary with us, Daniel.  And I bet that diary is a key to the solution of this case." Fisher said this with some excitement.