Chapter 27

The decision hung heavy on my shoulders as I sat wrapped up in a cocoon of messy covers and throw pillows. Going to a public, regular school would give me the chance to be around normal kids my age, kids who unlike me did not have family ties to the mafia.

But deep down I knew that going to a normal school, won't make my life any more normal, it will just make it more complicated. 

I heaved out a sigh, blowing the tiny baby hairs that laid in front of my face into an upward spiral. Before padding to the bathroom to shower and get ready for whatever today would bring. And I'm hoping that comes in the form of a tall brown-haired man whose name rhymes with eyes. And now that I have my whole school situation on lock, I can give him my full attention tonight. 

I hum to myself as I step out of the shower and go through my morning routine before making my way into the closet. I throw on a pair of off-white-colored jeans before matching it with similar color, ribbed tank top. 

I find myself sitting in the kitchen with Tom, as he whips me up some of his world-famous, and most certainly beloved pancakes. "So do you know where any of my brothers went?" I ask as I munch into the fluffy goodness.

"Right here, Cara!" I hear before I feel a weight of pressure on my back. "Get off me Luc," I say as I try and swat him the best I can with my arms. "I am trying to eat my pancakes." Letting out a huff, I give up struggling and continue to munch.

"Aw, how did you know it was me?" He says letting go and taking a seat in the chair next to me. 

"Uhm let's think, you and I are the only ones in this family with light hair, which was swinging all over my face by the way, and uh I don't know your voice," I saw playfully rolling my eyes. 

Lucas didn't seem to be the only one making his way into the kitchen as Aidan and Alexander followed in suit moments later. 

"Good morning," Tom says placing 3 plates full of his miracle food in front of my brothers. They give him a quick thanks before hungrily digging in. 

"So do you guys know if dad is in his office?" I ask taking a small sip out of the orange juice. "Yeah, I think he just got back from a meeting 30 minutes ago why?" Alex replies not even looking up from his plate.

"I just need to talk to him quickly, I will be right back," I say as I push in my chair and bring my plate to the sink. 

"Thank you for the wonderful food, Tom, you outdo yourself every time!" 

I hastily make my way down the hall to my dad's office and walk-in after the first knock. Patience is a virtue, but it's one I don't have. His office has to be one of the most beautiful rooms in the house, covered in dark wood and big windows, with bookshelves adorned on both sides of the room.

"Ciao papa," 

 "Ciao, Cara Mia, how are you?" 

"I'm good, I just wanted to inform you of my decision," He nods his head at me to continue. "I decided to join the Academy," I say.  

The next 40 minutes are spent talking about figuring out my classes and a more intense training schedule. As well as other boring school stuff. And even though my dad does not often let his emotions display on his face, I can see the pride and happiness swelling up behind his eyes, and spilling onto the slight smile around his lips.

My choice to attend school at the academy, was a sign that I was starting to accept my families ties to the Mafia, and my father could sense that as well. 

Like I promised I make my way back down to the kitchen, where Aidan, Alexander, and Lucas are still sat eating, joined by the newest addition, Xavier. "You know you guys are going to get fat if you keep eating Tom's pancakes. How many have you had anyway? I was gone for 40 minutes!" I say earning a chuckle out of Xavier.

"Actually we are not going to become obese dearest little sister, because we are going to the gym to train right now," Aidan pipes up. 

"We?" I ask quietly hoping, praying even, that this little 'gym shesh' did not include the likes of me. 

"Yes we! It was actually Xaviers great Idea, I am so excited to finally train with you!" Aidan says with not even a hint of sarcasm. That boy is too optimistic to be in this family, "In fact, we are headed there right now, but you might want to change so you can wait to head down with Xavier."

With the exception of Xavier, they all thank Tom before sauntering off to the training room with a giddy Aidan in tow. 

After I hear the kitchen door close, signaling Tom's departure I turn to Xavier with a glare. "Really Xav, I thought we were besties!" I say throwing my hands up in the air with a huph. He chuckles and rolls his eyes. 

"It will be fun Cara, plus Aidans right they have not yet gotten the chance to see you train, and we can all help you catch up to where you need to be for training," He says bringing his dish over to the sink. 

"Ugh fine, but you owe me for this," And that favor might come sooner than later since I am going out tonight, I wanted to add. 

I made my way upstairs and switched out of my fabulous outfit before heading down to train with my brothers. And they sure did kick my ass. I was first sent to the boxing ring to spar with Lucas so they could get a sense of my skills, before moving onto the mat with Alexander for more intensive training. 

I was surprised at how coordinated and focused Lucas looked while sparing, and I knew that even though he did not hit me once, his punches and aim definitely showed me that if he was trying too, he would have. However, I do have to give myself credit for landing a couple of blows on him, ones that I could see from the surprised expression he was not expecting. And with each surprised spectator, I could feel my ego-inflating. 

We took a quick lunch break at twelve before heading back to the gym and moving on with the training. 

That ego that I so proudly talked about a second ago, came crashing down after my session with Alexander. We went over basics moves that I had learned from self-defense, but he made me focus on the form while also maintaining aim, before moving on to some more intricate sparing. 

And then he had me spar with Lucas again, who did not go as easy as the first time. I have bruises on my back and tailbone to prove it. 

All in all, by the end I was a hot mess. 

I walked over to the bench in the corner of the room to cool off and grabbed my water bottle as I checked my phone. 

Shit. It was 5:30, and Rhys said he would be picking me up at 7. I know an hour and a half might seem like a lot of time to get ready but I have to pick out an outfit, shower, do my makeup, air dry my hair, and also add in the times that I get distracted. It will barely be enough. Plus finding a way to get out of the house but that's a problem for future me