Chapter 23

I look around for Rhys and see that he is already doing the same as he hovers over me.

"Haha, Hi, I was looking for you," I say looking up to meet his gaze. He looks down and smiles at me before hardening his gaze and directing it back to wherever the shots came from.

2 more gunshots go off making the sound of EDM music drown out by screams. I feel Rhys's movements as he reaches into his pocket.

I hear shuffling feet and see two of the men from outside the club flank by Rhys's side.

"This way boss," I finally notice the two machine guns they are carrying in their hands and look up at Rhys confused. Where did they even come from? I don't remember them walking into the club with him. 

"Do you trust me?"

I nod, without even thinking. 

I see a sparkle before his eyes, and a slight quirk of his lips before he gently grabs my hand and quietly shuffles us to the right. Even though I am in a life-or-death situation right now, all I can think about is our hands intertwined together. 

When the coast is clear we stand up in a single file line and follow one of the men to the back entrance while the other one is behind us, as they keep their guns out for the ready. I pick up my pace so I'm now walking side by side Rhys and move closer to him as I lean into his side. I look down at our hands and notice that like the men in black he is carrying a gun in his other hand. Now is probably not the best time to ask questions, but I definitely do have a lot.

As soon as we step out the back entrance, a shiny black SUV waits outside and the guards move to stand on either side of the door. 

"Come here, I got you," He says never letting go of my hand as he pulls me into the car.

He pulls me in close to him so I'm leaning on his shoulder leaving me to wrap my other arm around his for support. 

He looks down at me and I swear my breath hitches as I gaze into his hazel eyes. Eyes that I see myself getting lost in. 

"Are you okay?" He asks his forehead growing lines with worry.

"Yeah I'm fine, Just confused and startled," I say leaning back a bit more to get a better look at his face. That was 100% a lie, I am definitely feeling a little bit more than just confused and startled. I am honestly still trying to process what the actual hell happened. 

He nods and pauses for a moment.

Leaving my mind to wander. And where does it wander you ask? 

It wanders to how the fuck I am going to explain this to my brothers. 'Oh yeah remember how you specifically told me not to go clubbing, and I said I wouldn't? Well, I did! lol, and then I kinda met this really cute guy who bought me alcohol, I almost kissed him but then gunshots rang out and our little moment got interrupted, so then I decided my best plan of action would be to follow him into a black SUV!! Aren't you proud of my survival skills?'

Yeah, that's not going to work out so well. 

"The gunshots were from a group of guys who were sent by my rival business," He says interrupting me from my train of thought. 

And now all I can think about now is who the fuck would want to hurt this gorgeous piece of a man. 

"Oh," I say getting the vibe that one of the questions I shouldn't be asking is what is your business. "That's scary, why were they trying to hurt you?" I decide to question leaning back into his side. 

"They knew they couldn't hurt me, it was more of a warning," He says as the car is once again filled with silence, only this time it's comfortable, and all of the questions that were popping around in my head become nulled as sleep beckons me. 

"Wait, I know you're tired but where is your address where should I drop you off?" 

I quietly mumbled my address hoping that it wouldn't get muffled through his suit but he seems to have heard it as I heard the car making a U-turn. I didn't find out if my assumptions were correct because sleep was knocking at my door, and I had already welcomed it in.

I woke up to someone lightly tapping my shoulder, "5 more minutes please," I say yawning.

"Cara we're here," the voice says chuckling at my sleepiness

That voice instantly wakes me up as I look at my surroundings. I was still in the car buried into Rhys side as his arm was hooked around me. I thought I was dreaming.

I sat up slowly still sleepy and looked outside the window.

The bright lights from my building light up some of the street as the night workers mull around inside. 

"This is your building?" He asks suspiciously eyeing the guards standing outside. Oh god, I don't want to mess this up. He cant know that my family is apart of a fuckin mafia, not only would my brothers kill me, but he would probably think I'm crazy.

I decide what I'm going to say and shake my head, "No I'm next door, but I just moved back and this was the closest address I could remember," I say as I slowly scoot over to the door. 

One of his men hop out and open the door for me before I can reach the handle, making me giggle. "Why thank you, sir," I say as I tip an imaginary top hat. 

Well, one thing is for sure I'm still a little tipsy. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to walk you to your apartment?" Rhys asks with amusement but I can sense the underlying concern. 

"Yeah I'm sure I'll be fine, I'm just going to call my brother down to come to get me," I say waving off his worry. 

"I had fun, I hope to see you again soon Cara," Rhys says handing me my phone before his bodyguard guy closes his door and hops back in the car. 

I give him a wave and turn around to walk into the building next to me before I see him drive away.

I wait till he's fully out of sight before I wobble over to my building and walk inside. As soon as the reception guy sees me he instantly makes a phone call and walks into the back.

OH, here we go.

I take my time walking over to the elevator before pushing P and putting in the code. I step out at the top floor and see no one. 

Whew, I wipe off the invisible sweat on my forehead as I make my way into the living room, knowing the coast is not entirely clear yet. 

And boy was I right because sitting there waiting for me is Lorenzo, Aidan, Lucas, Alexander, and Xavier. This should be fun. 

"Oh heyyy guys, what are you all doing up this late?" I ask trying to casually walk over to the sofa and lean against the arm. However, I only end up falling half off and am caught by Lucas. 

"This probably doesn't look too good right now"

"Not really," Lorenzo says.