Eight

"Hi mom what's wrong?" Wilhelm asked his mom who seemed upset.

"We've- no you, have got trouble" his mom said. Wilhelm looked over at Simon who was sitting next to him and stood up and walked to the living room.

"They've got a picture of you Wilhelm. Of the two of you" she said and Wilhelm felt like he was about to collapse.

"You can clearly see that it's you in the picture but we could always say that you are just friends and that it wasn't you in the video" she assured Wilhelm.

"Why would I do that? Why would you want me to do that? Are you more happy watching me be miserable than with Simon?" Wilhelm bursted out. Simon was looking at him concerned from the kitchen when his phone began buzzing.

"It's not like that Wilhelm. It's just that we have these traditions" she began.

"I don't give a fuck about traditions. I don't care what you say I should do. I just won't give up myself for traditions" Wilhelm said before hanging up the phone.

Simon had walked up behind Wilhelm and hugged him.

"I didn't ask for this" Wilhelm repeated as Simon tried his best to comfort him. Wilhelm's breathing became more intense and his anxiety rose. Simon felt his heartbeat through his back loader and faster than before. Simon turned Wilhelm around, cupped his cheeks and stroke them with his thumbs.

"It's going to be alright. We'll be alright. Just breathe" Simon said and Wilhelm did.

Simon was the only one of them to go to school that Monday. Wilhelm was doing his comment on the whole 'gay prince=true?' Drama. Simon had no idea what Wilhelm would say. They didn't exactly have much time to talk after it happened. The security guards had picked him up and driven him away. Simon hoped Wilhelm could be brave. It wasn't for Simon but for himself he needed to be brave.

Linda's red car pulled up by the school early Monday. People greeted Simon like usual. No one spoke of the articles, the picture, or Wilhelm, but they all knew. On the stairs stood his sister Sara. She ran up and hugged him.

"How are you?" She whispered.

"I'm good. Please don't make a scene" Simon said stressed by everyone looking at him.

Simon went to leave his things in his dorm. On his way there he saw all the guys leaning over a phone in the common room.

"Quiet! The press conference is starting now" one of them told the others. Simon couldn't help but stay and listen.

"Hello everyone. It has once more been rumored that I should have been in a romantic relationship with a fellow student at Hillerska boarding school" Simon could hear Wilhelm say through the screen. He was wishing for good news but ultimately knew he would probably not get any.

Wilhelm was tired of lying. Not to the people of Sweden. To him. He was stuck in his own head and knew he had to do it.

"These rumors... they are true" Wilhelm said in live tv to the whole nation as his mom next to him was trying to keep it together.

"It was thought that denying these rumors would strengthen the monarchy. But which monarchy which should reign this beautiful nation can be false and untruthful?" Wilhelm said as he finished his 'speech'.

"And we are of course supportive of Wilhelm and proud of his courage" his mom made sure to say before ending the press conference.

"You're life is going to be difficult now, you know. We'll be here but being yourself is as it seems, on your own" his mom said before quickly hugging Wilhelm.

Simon couldn't move. His feet were glued to the ground. He had been so prepared for Wilhelm to listen to his parents and deny it. He wasn't prepared for what would happen now. Would Simon say yes if people asked? Well they weren't a couple anymore, just friends. Or was this his way of saying they were? Ugh it was all such a mess.

"Hey Simon" a guy yelled from the common room.

"Hey Walter" he said back noticing he was now the center of everyone's attention.

"How you feeling? You look a little startled" he asked Simon.

"I'm good. Really good" Simon said back smiling.

"No shit. The guy he likes just admitted he wants to be with him. On TV" Henry said and hit Walter in the back of his head.

How would Simon focus on school? Well he didn't. The whole day he was just sitting thinking of meeting Wilhelm again. He managed to solve one problem at math and daydreamed during the rest of that hour of class.

It was history and Simon was dozing off to the sound of his teacher talk about the Roman Empire. Boring subject according to Simon.

"He's here" someone told the class while the teacher was writing something on the board.

Simon raised his hand and excused himself from the classroom. He ran through the prestigious hallways with paintings of royalty and rich people on the wall, and to the big door to the outside. He pushed the door open and stepped through it.

There he was. Just standing there in front of him. Simon walked down the stairs towards Wilhelm, now with a much slower pace than he had ran from the classroom. Wilhelm walked his way too. When they were about 2 meters away from each other they stopped. They must have stood there for half a minute before Simon went in and hugged Wilhelm.

"I'm so proud of you. And... I love you" Simon said and as he said it Wilhelm broke the hug and kissed Simon. It felt so good to do it. Better than ever before. It was better because he wasn't scared at all. Everyone could watch if they wanted to, though that would be kinda creepy.

"I'm sorry, did you want that?" Wilhelm asked nervously. What if Simon still just wanted to be friends.

"Don't be sorry idiot just kiss me" Simon said giggling and Wilhelm obeyed. It was passionate but nothing too rough. It was romantic. Like out of one of those rom coms when the girl finally got the boy.

"Oh shit" Wilhelm said as they broke their kiss and looked at the school. Everyone in every class where standing by the windows looking down at them. Simon started laughing and theatrically bowed.

Wilhelm could just laugh and smile at Simon. It had been worth it after all.