Fifteen

"You look good" Wilhelm said to Simon who was examining his suit in the mirror.

"Is it nice enough though? I've never been to a castle before, especially not intentionally uninvited by the queen" said Simon in a stressed voice.

"It's going to be fine. Sara is going with Felice, and I'll be there" Wilhelm said trying to calm Simon down.

"And I already told her you're coming" Wilhelm told Simon.

"How'd she react to that?" Simon asked.

"Well she wasn't in love with the idea but it was you or nothing" Wilhelm assured Simon.

They were both wearing black suits. Simon had rented his because there was no way he could afford a suit like that. They walked out to meet Felice and Sara outside of the school. They were going there together. When they walked through the halls all the other kids looked at them with envy. It would be the party of the year. Well not party, but for someone who wants to get contacts this was probably the best way to do it.

The girls were waiting outside. Felice was wearing a long blue ball gown and her hair nicely curled. The necklace around her neck looked very expensive. Sara was wearing a pink dress. She reminded Wilhelm of a princess.

"Aren't you guys handsome" said Felice as the boys walked down the stairs.

"Likewise maladies" said Simon and took his sister's arm like he had seen on tv. Wilhelm did the same to Felice and they walked to the car.

The car ride was uncomfortable. Everyone but Wilhelm was nervous. It didn't help that they added to that nervousness by telling everyone that they were nervous, every other minute.

When they got there someone opened the car door for them. When they were out the cameras started flashing. Wilhelm didn't feel like taking pictures and took his friends inside the gates. They were lead to an enormous entrance, just as full of small but noticeable details as the rest of the building.

"Welcome crown prince Wilhelm. Follow me please" said the guard and let them in.

The room was large and pampered with chandeliers and expensive paintings. There were people everywhere.

"Do you know all these people?" Asked Simon.

"No" said Wilhelm.

There couldn't have gone more than a few seconds before people were walking up to Wilhelm, greeting him, and as they did they also greeted Simon and the girls.

"Simon, a pleasure" said Simon when he shook the gentlemen and ladies' hands.

He wasn't used to it but did a great job. Wilhelm came to think of Jack Dawson from the movie Titanic(1997) and how he had tried to fit in with the crowd of judgmental first class passengers. Simon was doing just that. He was chatting with the elite like it was his job, and they loved him. He had that cheekiness to him, that edge that many admired.

"Wilhelm" said his mom from behind.

"Hello mom" Wilhelm said back and hugged her.

"Simon" said the queen and reached out her hand.

"Your highness" said Simon and kissed her hand.

"Could I speak with you in private Wilhelm?" His mom asked. He agreed and was walking away.

"I'll be right back" Wilhelm said before he disappeared into the crowds of people in over prices clothes.

Simon was about to turn to Felice and Sara when he realized they were gone. "Must have walked away when we were talking" he thought. It was more difficult without Wilhelm there. Not many people seemed to care when the prince was no longer there to give Simon the attention he himself disliked. All he wished for was to not stumble across August. He didn't even know if he would be attending since he was suspended.

"Did you tell Simon?" The queen asked Wilhelm when they had walked aside from the party.

"Tell him what?" Wilhelm asked playing dumb.

"About his dad leaking the picture maybe?" She answered kind of passive aggressive.

"No not yet" Wilhelm said and felt that knot in his stomach again.

"About his dad leaking the picture maybe"

Felice covered Sara's mouth to keep her from screaming. They had gone to the bathroom and were on their way back not knowing they would over hear the private conversation between the queen and her son.

"I have to tell Simon" Sara said as they rushed away from where the eavesdropping had been happening.

"Think about what chaos it will bring" Felice said trying to convince Sara to not tell Simon that very occasion.

"Sorry. I have to" Sara said and Felice realized it was stupid to even try to stop her.

"We need to talk Wilhelm. Now" said Simon in an almost threatening and angry voice.

They walked to a private room out of reach for reporters and other guests. Simon closed the door.

"Do you have anything you want to tell me?" Simon asked. Wilhelm's face was terrified and surprised.

"What do you mean?" Wilhelm asked playing dumb. In reality he knew exactly what Simon would tell him. He also knew that Simon would be furious with Wilhelm, and probably his dad.

"How could you not tell me?" Simon said and sat down on a couch putting his hands in front of his face. That not the reaction Wilhelm was waiting for.

"I'm sorry Simon. I just didn't want to see you sad" Wilhelm explained. He sat down next to Simon but wouldn't dare to put his arm around Simon.

"How can someone do that?" Simon began. Wilhelm was prepared for Simon to start yelling and hitting him.

"I mean to his own son" Simon finished. This was when Wilhelm realized this wasn't about him. It was about his relationship with his dad, and how it had been betrayed.

Simon sat there for a minute. Wilhelm had finally put his arm around Simon.

"I want to confront him" Simon said and stood up.

"Wait so you're not mad at me?" Wilhelm asked surprised.

"A bit. But it wasn't you who did it. You just wanted to shelter me from it, and as much as that disturbs me I'd rather be sheltered than betrayed" said Simon. Wilhelm felt the knot in his stomach untie itself.

"Let's go then" Wilhelm said