Seventeen

The queen was sitting at the end of a large table. In the room were multiple servants. They looked like statues as they stood all still and stiff.

"Sit down boys" she said to Simon and Wilhelm who had walked into the room nervous and anxious.

Wilhelm was sure his mother would want to kill him after the night before. He could already hear her in his head telling him how irresponsible it had been to leave his own party, and without any security guards. There was also the small detail that Simon wasn't invited. To be exact, he was forbidden to come.

"As it seems" she bagan when the boys were seated in front of her.

"As it seems you two are quite the couple" she continued. Wilhelm was shocked but mostly relieved that she wasn't yelling.

"As soon as someone in the royal family officially admits to a relationship the second part in it will become a public domain" she said and looked at Simon.

"People will expect to know all about you. The magazines and gossip will stalk you. This means that you need to know how to behave" she explained.

Simon felt stupid. He hadn't ever thought about how he would have to change to be with Wilhelm. He didn't want to change, become some stuck up, uninteresting man without any understanding of reality outside of his guarded palace.

"It is therefore you two will have to be trained. It will contain media, manners, and common knowledge surrounding the monarchy" she told them. Wilhelm wanted to throw up out of disgust. These were the three things he despised the most, well at least the latter.

When she had left the room a well dressed man walked in. His suit looked like it was wrinkle resistant.

"Hello crown prince Wilhelm, Simon. My name is Josef and I will be holding media training with you two. I know that the crown prince-" he introduced himself.

"Call me Wilhelm" Wilhelm interrupted Josef.

"Okay. Well I know you Wilhelm have gotten media training before but this one will be in focus of you two" Josef explained.

Wilhelm couldn't remember how many times he had been told about the mystery of monarchy and the unopinionated person he was supposed to be.

"As long as you are together you will have to overplay your love for each other, really sell it to the people. No scandals or public fights" Josef preached. It was ironic how it had been precisely those two things which had built their relationship.

"You Simon will have to understand your role as inferior to the crown as long as you are not part of it. You will also have to show your full support and loyalty to the crown and her majesty" Josef said.

Simon felt like his intestines were being put on fire inside of him. How could he support something that goes against the very things he believes in? And why does he have to be inferior? He had been on the bottom all his life. He was the son of an immigrant, living in the working class, being gay. How could they expect him to just bow down to something so suppressing?

Simon would have said something. He didn't. Wilhelm meant too much to him to disobey the bare minimum from his part. Not after everything Wilhelm had given up for the two of them to be together.

When Josef was done an old lady walked in the room. She looked like those ladies from the movie Titanic. Simon had watched it way too many times only to later realize it wasn't because of Kate Winslet, but Leonardo DiCaprio. The scene inside the car had made him feel things.

She curtsied Wilhelm and began teaching them, mostly Simon, of manners at the table. Simon almost started laughing thinking of how that woman would be Sara 60 years in the future.

Simon had never seen so many forks next to a plate before. Who needs 5 fucking forks? It was becoming very clear that Simon had a lot to learn but also that he really tried and quickly made progress.

After the old lady was another, slightly younger, woman who taught them about royal history. There was only one word to describe the lesson: boring.

When it was finally over they walked back to Wilhelm's room. Wilhelm threw himself on the bed and patting the surface next to him meaning Simon should lay there.

"No, how could I lay in the same bed as you your highness" Simon joked but there was some thought behind the comment.

"Stop it" Wilhelm said back in the same jokingly way.

"No I'll just lay here on the floor, as a true servant of the crown" Simon said and lay down dramatically.

He didn't get an answer and for a second thought that Wilhelm had either gotten annoyed with him(understandable), or agreed with him. It was neither. Wilhelm had gotten out of the bed and lay next to Simon on the floor. It was symbolic in a way. It showed how Wilhelm was willing to go into the dirt for Simon, how it wouldn't matter where they were as long as they were together.

"Where is my phone?" Simon asked after a moment of cuddling.

"Over there I think" Wilhelm answered pointing on the bed. Simon sat up and reached for it.

*15 missed calls from Sara*

Shit

"Hey Sara what's wrong?" Simon asked concerned.

"How could you just disappear last night. I was worried sick" Sara said angry with her brother.

"Sorry" he got out.

"And you think you can go confront our dad without telling me how it went or even asking if I wanted to come with you" she continued even more worked up.

"I'm sorry" he said once more.

Silence.

"Dad won't bother us anymore" Simon said after a few seconds.

"How are you?" Sara asked once she realized the meeting might have been hard for Simon.

"I'm fine. I'm in a literal palace next to the prince on his floor" Simon said and looked over at Wilhelm.

"How'd you end up on the floor?" She asked confused.

"Long story. Gotta go" Simon said before hanging up on his sister. He put his phone away and turned around to meet the eyes of Wilhelm.

"So you like it in the palace?" Wilhelm asked surprised.

"I mean it's a palace. You have guards and a private cook. I have ants and noisy neighbors" Simon said which made Wilhelm laugh and kiss Simon.