Chapter seven

TW: Torture and mentions of fire

Voldemort is very pleased. He's pleased with Lucius' son. Draco has just arrived at Malfoy Manor after stealing the diamond from the Muggle girl. It was a piece of cake, she didn't do anything to stop him. She barely even blinked at him.

"Good job, Draco. Good job. I trust you had no issues with getting the diamond?" Voldemort asks the boy.

Draco can't help but smirk. "It was way too easy. That stupid Muggle did not even try to stop me" he says, a bit smug.

Smiling at Draco, Voldemort then turns his attention to Lucius. It's difficult for Lucius not to notice that. "My Lord?" he asks.

Without any warning, Voldemort points his wand at him. "Crucio!" Voldemort somewhat calmly says. The spell hits Lucius in his chest. He falls to the ground and yelps in pain.

After a few seconds, the torture finally stops. "I am very pleased with your son, Lucius. However, you have been nothing but a disappointment. Let this be your punishment" Voldemort states.

Lucius is in a lot of pain, but Voldemort doesn't care. As the Dark Lord turns his back to them, Narcissa runs to her husband and helps him get up and sit on a chair. Thankfully, the Dark Lord doesn't seem to notice. That, or he simply doesn't care.

"Finally - the diamond!" he exclaims as he touches the diamond. He can feel its power. He holds it in his hands as he concentrates. He thinks of setting Wormtail, his servant, on fire.

However, after a very long moment of silence, the Dark Lord loses his patience. "Something is wrong! The diamond is not working!" Voldemort says through gritted teeth. He throws the diamond to the floor. It doesn't break, though.

After a while, realisation hits him. "The Keeper of the Diamond" he suddenly says.

One of his most trusted Death Eaters, Bellatrix Lestrange, can't help but be curious. "The Keeper of the Diamond, my Lord?" she questions.

Voldemort turns to look at Bellatrix. "Yes, Bellatrix. After all this time, we have been looking for the wrong thing. If my theory is correct, then not only is this the wrong diamond, but we have forgotten to look after the most important thing" he explains.

Bellatrix looks confused. "Which is what, my Lord?" she asks him.

Voldemort merely smiles at her. "You see, Bellatrix - the Keeper is a person. Lucius," Voldemort starts as he turns his gaze to the man. "You have another chance. Do not screw this up" he warns.

At Hogwarts, the Trio and the two Muggle girls have barely left the library when Hermione suddenly stops up. "Of course, why did I not think of that before!" she exclaims as she begins to run.

Harry, Ron, Laura and Vera all look extremely confused and try to catch up to her. "'Mione, wait! What's going on? Slow down!" Ron yells after her.

However, Hermione finally stops as she literally bumps into Professor Snape. "Watch where you are going, you insolent girl!" he growls at her.

Looking embarrassed, Hermione quickly apologises. "I am so sorry, sir. But we have to talk to Headmaster Dumbledore!" she explains to him.

Snape sighs at that. "The Headmaster is not here. He is out" he simply says. Dumbledore isn't here?

"But, sir, it is important! It is about the diamond!" she quickly says.

Sighing once again, Snape motions for all five of them to follow him. "Then I guess I will have to take you to the Order. Weasley, go and get your siblings" Snape tells Ron. Ron quickly starts to run, looking for them.

As they are waiting, Harry can't take the uncomfortable silence. "Hermione, what did you find out?" he asks his friend.

Hermione scolds herself internally. She had almost forgotten that she had just found important information! "We have been looking for the wrong thing this entire time - it is not just the diamond. Do you remember what the prophecy says? The "Keeper" of the Diamond. Don't you see? The Keeper is obviously a person!" she exclaims.

Vera's and Laura's eyes immediately widen. They both wonder - could the Keeper be Y/N?

Snape sighs to himself. Great. Another mission for Lucius to fail. Snape almost feels bad for him, just almost.

Ron returns with Ginny, Fred and George. "Took you long enough, Weasley. Let us go, then" Snape says as he begins to walk out the door, fast. The eight teenagers all have to run in order to keep up with his pace. As they reach outside of Hogwarts, they apparate to Grimmauld Place.

At the dinner table in Grimmauld Place, all the members of the Order are here. Well, except for Dumbledore. Mr. Weasley decides to take control of the meeting. "So, why are we all gathered?" he asks the teenagers as it's them who have requested the meeting.

Hermione takes a deep breath. "We have been doing it all wrong. All this time, we have been looking for a diamond, but the Keeper of the Diamond is in fact a person. At first, I thought that only Harry and You-Know-Who could use the diamond. But we tried at the library, and it did not work when Harry tried to use it" she explains. Everybody nods at that. It makes sense. Of course the Keeper is a person. The only person who can use the diamond and its powers.

"Now there is only one question left - who is the Keeper?" Black asks after a while. Vera and Laura look at each other. Should they tell them?

Laura decides so. "We think it might be our friend, Y/N. You see, she has a diamond like me. Only it's orange".

Vera then continues. "Yeah, and the reason I even ended up at Laura's house was because I thought that Y/N would be there. When I realised that those men, the Death Eaters, were Harry Potter characters, I thought she would be the only one who could help me. I expected that she would know what diamond they were talking about".

Everyone is surprised by this news. Why didn't the girls tell them about their friend long ago?

"If your suspicion is correct, then we have to get your friend, Y/N, before You-Know-Who realises as well and goes after her" Lupin states.

"I think those suspicions might be right. Think about it, the energy was found in both Vera's and Laura's houses, right? Well, maybe the energy came from Y/N!" Hermione suggests. Everybody once again looks surprised. Of course, that makes a lot of sense.

"So, um, how do we get her? And when do we do it?" Harry asks, confused.

Lupin looks at Harry, deep in thought. "Tonight. We should probably bring Laura and Vera since they know her and know where she lives" he suggests. Everybody nods in agreement as it is decided that they wait until tonight.

The twins break the silence. "So", Fred starts. "Who's Y/N's favourite character?" George ends.

Everybody looks at the girls curiously while the girls look at each other. How will they react to this? "Um, Snape" Laura simply answers.

Everybody's eyes widen as big as dinner plates. Black can't believe it. Snape? Who in Merlin's name likes Snivellus?! Ron agrees with that statement. Is that girl bloody mental? How can she like Snape? He's scary!

Meanwhile, Snape is in deep thought. So he is someone's favourite character, huh? He quietly hums to himself at that thought, amused yet intrigued.

They are all quite surprised by that. Laura debates whether or not to tell them that Y/N also likes Lucius Malfoy. She decides against it and keeps quiet. However, Snape uses Legilimency on her and finds out the secret by reading her mind. Interesting.

Lupin decides to interrupt everybody's thoughts. "Headmaster Dumbledore should return to Hogwarts soon. Professor Snape and I will go and let him know about the new information" he states. Everybody agrees as Lupin and Snape rise from their chairs and head out the door.