Chapter 12

On the second day of their training camp, it went the same as the previous day. Everything went by peacefully, excluding the twin's bickering. This has continued until the last day of the training.

• • •

Like the usual days, Kita and Fuyuko were cleaning the dishes after dinner. When they were done, they were about to head out until she slipped on something. She closed her eyes, waiting for her to fall, but instead, she felt someone wrap their arms tightly around her waist, preventing her from falling. She opened her eyes and saw Kita's face right in front of her. He was close enough for her to feel his breath. She blushed at their closeness.

"Are you okay?" He asked with worriedness all over his voice.

She nodded. "Thank you, Kita-san."

Before Kita was about to let go of her, someone stepped into the scene. "Fuyuko, do you w- WHAT?!"

Kita let go of her before turning to check the person who just entered. There, they saw Atsumu standing with an unreadable expression. Before any of them could utter a word, Atsumu quickly came closer and carried Fuyuko somewhere in a blink of an eye. "T-Tsumu?!"

He continued to carry her until he reached a more private area. He finally let her down but held her shoulders with trembling hands. There was silence between them and all they could hear was the breeze and their breathing. After a few moments, Atsumu finally spoke as he sounded like he was about to cry. "A-Are you d-dating Kita-san?"

She shook her head immediately.

"T-Then what was that I saw?" She could hear the crack in his voice.

She quickly explained to him what happened before he entered, making him sigh in relief. He leaned onto her shoulders as he whispered, "I thought I lose you to Kita-san."

She just rubbed his back slowly as she asked, "Lose me?"

Atsumu flinched very faintly before taking a deep breath. He then wrapped his arms around her before speaking. "I really like you. Not as a friend but as in romantically."

"W-What?" She asked in shock. She just couldn't register what he just said to her.

"The crush I told you about last Saturday was you," Atsumu continued with a soft voice she never thought he could make.

"I-I didn't k-know..." she whispered.

"I even confessed during the Cherry Blossom Festival, but you mistook it and thought it was as a friend."

Fuyuko froze on the spot. She could not believe how dense she was and how she probably has broken his heart unintentionally.

Atsumu gradually pulled away as he stared at her eyes. "I'm surprised I'm saying this myself, but I was really heartbroken when I heard from Rintaro that you had a crush on Kita-san. That was the reason why I avoided you last time."

His eyes shone due to the tears forming on his eyes. "Since I heard that you had a crush on him, I thought it was over when I saw you close with Kita-san a while ago..."

"T-Tsumu... I..." She was cut off.

"Don't reply to me yet. I'll confess to you again after the Nationals. I'll do my best to be the first place," he said with determination. "Can you answer me then? Will you give me a chance?"

Fuyuko has never seen Atsumu this serious unless it was about volleyball. She could tell he was sincere about his feelings towards her that she nodded her head slowly.

Atsumu smiled in relief. "Thank you. Let's go back now."

They then headed back to their respective rooms.

Even as she took a shower and tried to sleep, all she could think about was his confession. She somewhat managed to fall asleep, but even in her dream, the scene a while ago was replayed over and over again.

• • •

After Atsumu's confession, there was a bit of awkwardness lingering between them. Atsumu avoided her eyes frequently which went the same for Fuyuko. The others noticed their change, but did not mention it to them and let them be.

However, Rintaro talked to his sister about it when they got back home. "So I heard from Tsumu that he confessed."

She nodded as she stared at the ceiling of her room.

"How do you think of him?"

"I... I don't know..." she said slowly. "I never really thought about him that way."

"You know, he liked you for a while already. He was quite obvious, but you were so dense."

Fuyuko stayed silent as she knew that she was indeed dense. She probably gave Atsumu a hard time because of it.

"Are you really going to think about his confession? Are you giving him a chance?"

She nodded with a sigh. "If I think about it, he was treating me differently. I thought he just saw me as a close friend. I'm so stupid."

Rintaro didn't say anything for a while, before speaking once again. "Do you know why he said he will confess to you again after the Nationals?"

"No, he didn't. Why? Did he tell you?"

Rintaro nodded. "He wanted to show you how passionate he is about volleyball since I told him before how you admired him for his passion."

She sat up in shock. "Do I really have that much influence on him?"

"More than you ever thought," Rintaro said before leaving her room.

She sighed as she was now more confused about her feelings.

• • •

For the past few days since then, Atsumu left simple gifts on top of her desk and that was it. They did not really interact as he was focusing on his training with Inter high tournament coming up very soon.