Chapter 18

It was supposed to be summer vacation after Sports Day, however, the volleyball club had to train for the whole summer since they were part of the upcoming Nationals. Fuyuko, being their manager, did not have a choice, but to join and help around.

For a month and a half, the boys' volleyball club members solely focused on their training and enhancing their skills. Although everyone was determined, Atsumu out of all of them was the most determined one. She had to stop him to remind him to not overwork himself from time to time.

• • •

Soon the day of Nationals approached and the team headed to the gymnasium where it was going to be held. She could tell that everyone was excited on the way there. She glanced at Atsumu and saw that there was a hint of nervousness.

"Tsumu, are you nervous?" She asked in a teasing manner.

Atsumu gave her a quick glance before replying. "Of course not! I know we will win!"

She just laughed at his confidence and nodded her head in agreement.

• • •

Fuyuko was watching the match with both of her hands clenched together. Currently, they were going against Itachiyama Academy. She could tell that the members were becoming tried, but they were still determined to win. However, a gasp escaped her lips at the sight of the ball being dropped on their side of the court. She could not believe her eyes.

They have lost.

She stood in disbelief, but quickly snapped out of it and handed the exhausted members their towels and drinks. She took a quick glance at Atsumu and saw that he had a frustrated look. Everyone just patted his back before helping others pack their items.

• • •

As soon as they arrived back in Hyogo, the coach gave them a quick speech before they went on separate ways to their homes.

"You know, Yuko," Rintaro spoke. "You should talk to Tsumu."

She shook her head in disagreement. "I'm not good at comforting people. I might make it worse."

"That's not what I meant," he said as he glanced at her. "Don't you remember what Tsumu told you before? During the training camp?"

Her eyes widen as she understood what he meant. "Do you really think I should talk to him about it?"

"Technically, the biggest motivation for him was to confess to you after we won. But we lost, so I think you can make him feel better," he said. "That's if you are sure about your feelings."

They walked the rest of the way home in silence as she tried to sort out her feelings. She knows that she likes him, but does she like him as much as he likes her? Even after they arrived home, all she could think about was understanding her feelings. She continued to think about it until she finally got her answer. She grabbed her phone and called Atsumu immediately.

"Tsumu?" She said softly when he answered.

"What is it?" She heard him whisper at the other end.

"I was wondering if I could talk to you about the promise we made."

When there was no reply and only silence at the other end, she called out to him. "Tsumu?"

"Can I go over to your house right now?" He asked.

"Right now?! At this time?!" She asked in shock as she checked her clock.

"I want to see you," he mumbled with a crack in his voice.