The Beginning of the End (Order 66-Part 1)

A/N: 2 updates in one day?  You bet!  This is a bit of a long one (7139 words) :)

It's...crazy to think we're in the final stretch.  I am going to try to get part 2 out tomorrow, then part 3 out the day after that, and finally have the closing chapter/epilogue out on July 14, the 1 year anniversary of the book.  This final few chapters have been pretty sad to write, but I hope you enjoy!  Full steam ahead!

After several hours of hyperspace travel, the Bad Batch had arrived on Kaller. The Havoc Marauder had touched down on the snowy earth and the Bad Batch had congregated to the front of the ship. Kaller was a very cold planet, Abby had gathered after taking one look at the forest clearing they had landed the ship in. Several feet of snow was piled on the ground and frost dusted every tree branch. Very few animals were frolicking about and the only undergrowth that was visible through the desolate white wonderland resembled miniature pine trees. Speaking of which, Abby could've sworn she had seen movement between their thin snaking branches up ahead.

She leaned over the ship's dash to stare out the viewport window, squinting at the tree line ahead.

"What is it?" Tech asked, catching her confused expression.

"I saw something in the bushes. There," she explained, pointing to the spot.

Crosshair pushed her to the side and surveyed the area she had pointed to.

"There's a kid out there," he observed with a frown.

"The commander," Hunter supplied. "Get your helmets, we're going out to meet him."

"But it's gonna be cold!" Wrecker complained as he begrudgingly snatched his helmet from the ship's center console.

"You almost would think it's winter on this planet," Echo muttered sarcastically.

"Did you know that Kaller has complex seasonal variations, so moderate weather patterns may shift to extreme ones in just a matter of days?" Tech chirped avidly as the group made their way towards the exit. "There is a lot of fresh water on the planet too, making it-"

"Stay focused, Tech," Hunter nudged as he opened the door to the outside.

Right away a cool breeze chilled them each right to the bone. It seemed that Kaller's climate would be unforgiving during the incursion, just as Abby had predicted moments before.

"Sorry," Tech mumbled self-consciously.

"It's fine, but remember that our goal is to drive General Kleeve and his forces off Kaller," Hunter reminded him.

"Yes, Sarge," Tech nodded.

One by one the Bad Batchers hopped down the steps to the snowy grounds. Abby nudged the white powdery snow with her foot, making a mental note to start a snowball fight later.

The forest clearing they had landed in was surrounded by towering trees and deep snow banks from the drift. The air carried the brumal scents of fresh-water streams, pine wood, and frost. Occasionally a bird would chirp shrilly or the tree branches would rustle in the gentle breeze.

"Come on out, Commander," Hunter called.

Hearing his name, a teenager poked his head out from the shrubbery that he was enshrouded in.

"You're the reinforcements?" he asked, tilting his head to the side, now fully emerged from his hiding place.

"That's us," Hunter nodded, taking off his helmet.