The Battle(?) of Redwood

Chapter 9:

---

T'was a weird dream indeed, but Blitz has no time to reflect on that just yet, now that Talulah is giving him his first mission, he was eager to take this. With no hesitation at all.

Varus helps him get dressed up, while Frostnova disturbingly just watched. Blitz catches her gaze, and he could tell she's not enjoying what she's watching, but she's nevertheless intrigued.

Blitz wore the same clothes he had from yesterday—a poet shirt underneath a leather tunic vest, black trousers, and leather boots.

When Varus asked about his missing eye, to which Frostnova's ears twitch when mentioned – indicating she's curious as well, Blitz, with a tone dripping with such snark and spite, just said "I got it from an altercation. Drunk loony stabbed me in the eyes with a glass shard."

Varus winces from disgust, and Frostnova shuts her eyes...probably sympathizing with Blitz.

Anyways, after the dress-up was finished, Blitz told Varus and Frostnova he'll meet them outside; he just has something to finish up, and that's concerning his bag.

Recalling about that dream he once had, about a letter to 'Lobster-head', Blitz rummages through his belongings and hopes the letter was still there. He muttered about the coincidence and convenience that he uses and carries the same bag.

He never got through to finding Lobster-head, but piecing the puzzle, that being W being upset at the news of Maccready's death, he feels like he should give the letter to her...if he finds it of course.

Fortunately, he has... The letter was dirty, but otherwise kept intact and kept its firm and silky texture. It was hidden in the hidden pocket for when someone goes to smuggle stuff... Perhaps Blitz forgot his bag has that feature. He carried that for a few years without knowing.

Blitz's grip on the letter felt heavy...it's like gripping the note of a will of your relative. He almost felt his intact eye warming up from tears, but he braves through it, and instead, reads the letter.

He had read the letter before, but to make sure the content is unprovoked and undisturbed, he wants to make sure.

"If you're reading this, I am more than likely dead... Either that or you snuck into my quarters while I was sleeping and stole this letter. If that's the case—Nathan, Abigail, please put this down. That's an order... Still reading? Well, I can't do much about it. I am a heavy sleeper after all, and I'm prolly still dead so I can't stop you. Keep in mind you two...this letter is not meant for you."

"Lobster-head, if this letter had reached to you, and was given by this dashing young man, or this handsome female cutthroat, then yes... I am dead. Well, what can I say...so much has been left unsaid, so many regrets. Working with you was some of the best times of my life."

"I took you for granted, and for that, I'm deeply ashamed. You are the backbone of the mercenary company, and I have faith that you will continue to be one. When I'm dead, please, don't mourn for me. The last thing I need is depression in the great beyond or below. In a different world, we could have been together... There would be no catastrophes; there would be no Oripathy; us two would've been traveling misfits earning money in honest or brutal ways."

"Where a Foreign-knighted Lateranian could marry a Kazdelinite simply because they loved each other. Yes... I love you, Lobster-head, and keeping that feeling inside hurt more than you ever know. Especially   when   I   had   to   leave   you   and   the   company   behind. That...is one of my biggest regrets."