Fragglesworth The Third, Kazoo minstrel

Chapter 14:

---

They were finally inside Chernobog itself... The city was smelly and dank. Dark from smog and the locals weren't even that remotely decent either. They were uncooperative when it comes to Blitz and the group asking questions of where they are, and mostly shut them off aggressively, or just ignore them.

People from Ursus have no sense of hospitality it seems, and the fact that lynching is part of their culture strengthens it. It's appalling the fact no other country stood up to Ursus... Granted, their army is feared among others, and they mostly abuse their own citizens.

Blitz was reminded of what he was fighting for, and the reason why he joined the Reunion in the first place—to put these stinking Bolshevik bears back to their place... The caves.

Their first target would be the guard fort, and they would intend to blow up a section of the wall, so their troops could funnel in, and kill everyone inside. Talulah specifically wanted the bombs to go off as they attack the city, to instill fear into the hearts of those who dare to stand up to them.

When they reviewed the map, the people heckled them for visiting their damned city. Varus was confused and was slightly offended, but W and Blitz, being mercenaries, were used to this. Apparently they heckle foreigners for visiting their shithole of a country and told them to get back to theirs so they won't end up like them. It was odd that Varus was not used to this culture, considering he is from Ursus as well.

Perhaps Rostovnov was autonomous, of sorts.

Eventually, they reached the guard fort. It was a fort that stretches over five blocks wide and is twenty meters tall. It's a bastion fort, so virtually it's impenetrable...but only from the outside.

Several Ursus guards, wearing full-body ballistic armor, with scarf masks and goggles concealing their identity were posted outside the entrances and exits.

The land surrounding it provides excellent space for a feint attack, and the flat walls in between the bastions can prolly hold ladders up. There are no crossbow slits on the north side of the fort, so that's possibly where the supplies or the armory are. Blowing that section would be fun.

However, as they were finding weaknesses in the fort, a patrol of guards was doing their routine sweep, causing the three to act natural. Blitz acted like a confused mailman, using a square package containing explosive charges as his delivery; W acted like this online date matchee waiting for her date, while Varus was pretending to be lost at the marvelous construction of the fort.

The last one got held up for looking suspicious... Varus...of all things...suspicious.

One of the guards diverted from his formation and pulled him aside as he notices something off with him.

---

Guard: "Oi... What are you staring at?"

Varus: "U-u-uhh... The...fort?"

Guard: "Uhuh, and why are you looking at this fort in the first place?"

Varus: "L-l-look, I-I'm just a b-bit lost at the construction of the...thing. Y-yeah!"

*Blitz and W slowly glanced at Varus, who glanced at them back with a very fearful expression, as if he wants to be saved. They simply shook their heads and told Varus he's on his own.*

Guard: "Hm... What's your name and occupation?"

Varus: "N-name? I am... Uh..."

*Blitz gestures for Varus to make something up as the guard gets more and more suspicious.*