Used To Be An Adventurer

Chapter 71.5:

---

After a long and uneventful bus ride, they made it to Tsaringrad East at last. Blitz hasn't visited Charlie's side of the city for a long time, being so absorbed in governing and bureaucracy to be aware of his surroundings, and now that he's there, there's a significant change in the behaviors of the locals, as well as the infrastructure around them.

For one, there is at least one free-thinkers church on every street block they come across, and inside these chapels are people enjoying solitude and freedom while reading books or practicing their faith in peace. It's eerily quiet inside; it smells of book leather and fragrant herbs that are condensed, and the combination of sweet, intoxicating smells is overwhelming. Fortunately, there are complimentary face masks for those who otherwise have sensitive noses.

There's also a noticeable change in the construction and placement of these buildings of worship. Some are strategically situated on open lots or parks, so they won't be hidden by neighboring apartment complexes and other tall buildings. Sometimes occupying a quarter of an entire block as well. And despite keeping the traditional design of Orthodox Theologist Chapels, it's cleaner, brighter, and more appealing to look at which attracts curious tourists to check it out, only to be drawn in by promises of good intent and less-restricted learning.

There are also free-standing, walk-in shrines often nearby, so people often come to pay their respects to the very detailed carvings and icons of individuals Charlie holds dear, or quite possibly famed free-thinkers that are martyred. This is where the architecture starts to get diverse because the shrines are made in Higashi-styled architecture. The icons are protected under a small wooden structure elevated slightly off the ground, with thatched roofs. And to welcome whoever wishes to pay their respects is a red archway.

Either Charlie is oblivious to the hatred Ursurians harbor against Higashi after the recent war, or he's vindictive and does this as a subtle insult against the Ursus empire by flaunting the detailed architecture of their enemy. Either way, fortunately, these shrines are not vandalized as one would expect to happen and people are genuinely paying their respects.

~~~

As for the locals? They no longer seem to loathe and bemoan about being subjugated by a very successful infected resistance organization, and they aren't as aloof and unfeeling as they were before. With no longer being under the watchful eye of Mother Bear, the locals feel as though they can breathe again. And as for the infected? They're no longer being lynched or treated as trash, and even though the communities remain segregated for healthcare sake, they are ignored or avoided politely rather than beaten for being sick, which is already a large significance of its own since they're in Ursus. They may not have learned to coexist just yet, but they're getting there, slowly but surely.

It also appears that none of the non-infected locals are throwing insults at Blitz, or any members of the New Reunion. They either regard them indifferently by ignoring them or are grateful to the General for providing them with a new, more peaceful life. The infected, however, do treat him as some kind of messiah or savior. When walking through the leper slums, which should not be considered a slum anymore due to the recent development in infrastructure, they're showered with cheers and gifts, and while Blitz loves to revel in his fame, he is still uncomfortable receiving praises. It goes to a point where they have to take shortcuts to avoid any of his thankful fans.