The second mission

Chapter 12:

---

It was a cold and starry night. The stars lit up the otherwise dim sky, but sooner or later it'd be lightening up with several floating lanterns, that will turn into the morning before you know it.

Nathan lays flat down on the grass, casually lounging as he gets lost in his thoughts. A Sankta girl, tomboyish and cute, with red velvet hair brightened by her halo, wearing a black hoodie and a pair of jeans and sneakers shakes him awake from his pensive state.

---

Nathan: "Good job, you made me lose my thoughts on the meaning of life."

*Lemuel giggles, and punches him softly in the shoulder.*

Lemuel: "It's not like finding the answers would be meaningful anyway. You just have to... Eat, sleep, fuck, and die. But if you want to make it exciting...depends on you!"

Nathan: "Heheh... Our parents are not gonna miss us, are they?"

*Lemuel lays beside Nathan and folds her arms over her stomach.*

Lemuel: "Since when do they miss us at all? Also, the two of us have been... I don't know, been outside for so long, we stayed at an inn... An inn at some point! They're used to us being street urchins at this point. So quit your worrying, Nathan, and enjoy the stars with me before it gets shrouded by the lanterns."

Nathan: "... I was already doing that."

*Lemuel smiles shyly, and now puts her hands behind her head, to use them as pillows or something.*

Lemuel: "Right..."

*Things grew quiet between the two, and as Nathan once again gets lost in his thoughts, he tries to think of topics to excite Lemuel.*

Nathan: "Hey, Lemu, do you remember the time we won that tournament fight?"

Lemuel: "Ha! Oh damn! Against all odds, dude! They were seniors from your military school as well! Guess they're no match for a couple of idiots like us."

Nathan: "We also had help, dude. I mean... Abigail did the most damage. Then there was Jacob, Abraham, then Luke, and Obadiah—"

Lemuel: "Do they even matter, Nathan? After the team melee was done, we never saw them again."

Nathan: "Well... I saw Abigail again, but that's because we were both on the same squad."

Lemuel: *She sighs, irritably.* "I much prefer just us taking them on... I'll never forget the time you saved my wing when I was almost clipped."

Nathan: *He smiles.* "Why shouldn't I save you? You're my best friend! Besides...you'd look like you didn't last long."

*Lemuel punches him in the shoulder...on full strength this time.*

Lemuel: "Fuck you, Nathan."

Nathan: "Yeah, yeah... We make a good team, don't we?"

Lemuel: "Heh... I suppose so... Hey, Nathan, can I ask you something?"

Nathan: "Erm, sure, Lemu. What's on your mind?"

Lemuel: "Firstly, can you please stop calling me 'Lemu'? It's like you're calling me a llama or something."

Nathan: "... I called you 'Lemu' for well over four years now, and yet you brought this up now that you didn't like that name? You could've just said!"

*Lemuel's face flushed with a combination of embarrassment and anger.*

Lemuel: "I didn't think you'd be okay with it!"