The Tsaringrad Contract

Chapter 29:

---

It was a tense month in Rhodes Island. With the Reunion threat, as well as Nathan, or now known as Blitz's campaign in the north looming high, with demands for mercenary work arriving at their post offices, it was all overwhelming for the staff involved, as well as its operators.

For now, the two Reunion armies have not made any moves ever since they conquered their cities. Ursus has not made any moves as well; no attempts to retake their cities were made, and it almost looked like they disregard their nomadic cities entirely.

The Doctor was doing the best he can in this situation, and while his reforms aren't that big and changing such as the last Logistics Manager, he is at least doing his job. Ever since he was chewed out by the head doctor for reading quite lewd magazines in his office he became more efficient... His relationship with Amiya has gotten a bit awkward recently as well.

He resorted to finding others fit for the assistant job to substitute her, and give her some space away from the Doctor until she cools down and becomes comfortable again. A fallen Sankta with blue hair whose name is Mostima won the job, but she insisted for the Doctor not to get attached, nor treat her as his friend as she will leave from time to time.

Thinking that there's nothing better to do in RI other than freaking out about the situation happening in the world, the Doctor then wishes to know more about the former Logistics Manager. A shrine was erected in his honor from people happy with his rule, and saddened by his departure. Despite what he had done to Ace, and leaving Rhodes Island to join the Reunion, and his unexpected campaign in Kalinatrov, the staff, particularly his beloved operators still love and respected him.

One such auxiliary operator—another Sankta with short red boyish hair—visits his shrine, and stays there for several hours. One such instance was that she slept at the shrine one time. Mostima and her colleague that came with her whose name is Texas said she is still in mourning, despite the fact she saw Nathan's broadcast.

Either Exusiai was in extreme denial, or maybe she's mourning his old self, who died the moment he joined the Reunion. Right now, as the Doctor stands a few strides away from the shrine, along with his new assistant, she is there just kneeling and looking at one of his portraits. Specifically, she's looking at what seems to be a font-less magazine cover of him wearing a Laterano Corsair Captain uniform with the coat hanging on his shoulder, wearing a bandolier of six pistols, and holding a breech-loading pistol in the air as he grimaces at something in a distance.

The wings and halo of the Sankta were often invisible when taken a picture, with the only evidence of them being there is that the halo's brightness is jeopardizing the picture's lighting—creating either an error or a cool effect. In the background are two other corsairs, and he looks to be in an old Laterano pirate ship.

---

Doctor: "He must've really meant much to her if she hangs around here literally all day."

Mostima: "You have no idea what lengths do those two have been through when they were together. From childhood to couriers, the only thing that could separate them is if the other chose to be in a grand adventure."

Doctor: "What do you know about this Blitz guy anyway? Not wanting to sound rude and all, but what's so special about him?"

*Mostima throws a cigarette inside a trash can beside her and glances at the Doctor but doesn't make eye contact.*

Mostima: "There are many things special about him, Doc. From his hometown in Sutton, to where he stands now, his life is like a train of events, and he yearns to ride that train until the day he dies, or something. His skills in fighting could only be matched by his skills as a lover."