001

january 4th, 2024
5:10 pm

IF YOU HAD ASKED NOELANI MORALES what she thought she would be doing after graduating college, housewife would be nowhere close to the answer

But alas, that's what she was slowly turning into.

While she loved the life that her boyfriend of almost five years was creating for them and their daughter, Noelani would be lying if she said that she wasn't starting to feel unfulfilled.

She used to surf, jump from cliffs and swim in the deepest parts of the ocean that she could reach.

But now she was a woman who cleaned, who cooked, who cared for their child and their pets, waited for Jalen to come home and...

And that was it.

The clock on the kitchen wall behind her pinged due to the hour changing, interrupting her thoughts and causing her to slice the back of her hand on a knife still waiting for her in the sink.

"Shit!" Noelani yelled, dropping the blue sponge onto the floor in pain.

Meli, their chocolate brown and white Akita, was laying near her feet and jumped up at her exclamation.

The dog lazily looked up at Noelani before moving to the sectional a few rooms away where Blue and Cinnamon were laying together.

The blood ran down the back of her hand and towards her wrist, just as the baby monitor sprang to life with noise, a baby fussing, to be specific.

Wrapping a towel around her hand as a bandaid replacement, Noelani lightly jogged up the stairs to the nursery where her daughter, Alani had just gotten up from her nap.

One handed, Noelani picked the child up and began to rock her back and forth as she stepped towards the changing table on the side of the room.

With a little difficulty, Noelani began to unwrap the dirty diaper from Alani when the sound of footsteps began to creep up the stairs.

Jalen stuck his head into the room and his black eyebrows furrowed with worry, "What happened to your hand? You bled through that kitchen towel."

Noelani glanced down at what was the yellow towel, "Oh. I was doing the dishes and there was a knife in the sink..."

Jalen nodded then strolled further into the room before gently nudging her towards the rocking chair, "I got Lani number two."