037

april 11th, 2024
3:19 pm

"YOU TRICKED ME," Noelani hissed in a belligerent tone

"You told me we were getting arepas from Abby's and that's why I drove up to Napa for you not to talk to some quack." She emphasized.

"I didn't trick you," Alejandro replied in a patient tone, his hands moving to properly park his gray pickup truck, "We're still going, just after. And she's not a quack, she's very good."

"You tricked me," Noelani repeated, "And all therapists are quacks."

"If you come inside, I'll add flan," Alejandro pleaded.

Noelani balled her tongue in her mouth as she stared at the counseling office they were parked outside of, "I want bandeja paisa too. Lots of it so I can take it home."

"Done. C'mon." Alejandro jerked his head towards the driver's side door.

Once inside, Noelani slumped down onto the brown leather couch and then looked around the tawny-colored waiting room. The receptionist was the only person with the pair, sitting behind her desk and her blue eyes fixed on the computer while her long acrylics tapped away at the keyboard.

"I can't believe I fell for this." Noelani shook her head.

"Noel.." Her father started quietly in his favorite warning tone.

"Let's just cancel it. I'll pay whatever the cancelation fee is." Noelani continued, her eyes now locked solely on the door.

"No. We need it." Her father snapped back.

Noelani swiftly rolled her eyes, "You're only saying we need it because Erin said we need it."

"She's right and I would be saying it even if she hadn't set this up for us," Alejandro sighed.

"Mr. Morales?" The receptionist called out, her smile friendly, "Dr. Coleman is ready for you."

"It's long overdue." Alejandro stood and then offered his hand to help her rise.

Noelani emitted a defeated sigh before slipping her hand into her father's and following him into the hallway that held a row of therapists' offices.

Dr. Aneesa Coleman was a Middle Eastern woman whose tightly wrapped hijab matched the powder blue paint on her walls. Alejandro opened the door and then swept his hand in front of it to indicate that Noelani should enter the room first and sit.