043

april 19th, 2024
3:10 pm

NOELANI GRIPPED THE SIDES of the white circular sink bowl in front of her, her knuckles an unnatural red due to how tight she was holding on

NOELANI GRIPPED THE SIDES of the white circular sink bowl in front of her, her knuckles an unnatural red due to how tight she was holding on. The coldness was firm against her palms but it did nothing to dissipate the panic attack she could feel was pressing to come to the surface.

This might be the worst day of her life.

Scratch that.

This was the worst day of her life.

Every time she made eye contact with her reflection, the morning that she had kicked Leilani out repeated in her mind like a bad song.

Just... Get out, Lei. I've had enough.

Get out.

Get out.

Get out.

Her fist curled and Noelani dropped her gaze once more.

Anxiously, she tapped the side of the sink in a three-beat staccato repeatedly until a knock on the door refocused her. Noelani cleared her throat in an attempt to sound normal, "Yes?"

"Jalen's back with the money." His mother's voice called back through the white wooden door.

"Okay. I'm coming," Her voice sounded off, even to herself.

You say that you're strong, right?

Noelani stared at her reflection and thought, Well, now it's time to prove it.

With a deep sigh full of stress, Noelani unclenched both hands and then opened the door to step back into the dining room at Bree's and Marcus' home. As soon as Noelani appeared, everyone at the table, Jalen's parents, Alejandro, Erin, Jalen, and Jamie stopped their conversation.

"C'mon," Jalen gently pushed the chair next to him out as a gesture for her to sit but Noelani immediately waved her hand, "No. I'm too antsy. How long do we have?"

"Thirty minutes. Maybe thirty-five." Jamie replied from where she was sitting on the left side of the table, her hands clasped together, "I spoke to her brothers. Them, her dad, and Anela are supposed to be flying in by late tonight."

"Okay, here's what gonna happen." Noelani spoke after a moment, "Jalen and I are gonna-."

"No," Jalen interjected with a calm tone.

"Excuse me?" Noelani turned to look at him with her harshest gaze.

"No," Jalen repeated from the head of the table, "The guy was clear. Me alone or she dies."

"Haven't you watched any movies? That's the perfect setup," Noelani pointed out, "I'm going with you."

"No, you're not." Jalen pressed the space between his thumb and his index finger to his forehead as Noelani continued to speak, "Yes, I am. You can't fight like I can. I'll just hide in the backseat."

"Noel," Alejandro began in a gentle tone, "You're 5'10. You'll be seen. Be practical."

"You think sending the father of my child into a possible shootout is practical?" Noelani's eyes grew wide in bewilderment as she waited for her own father to answer.

"No, but Jalen is right. You'll be seen if you're gonna be in the car with him." Alejandro pointed out.

"Then I'll drive over there first, park, and wait." Noelani retorted, "You're not going alone, this is my family, I'm coming with you whether you like it or not."

"Even if you're right that it is a setup, what makes you think that you are gonna be able to fend whoever it is off? Earlier in the hospital, you were doing pretty well yeah but he was caught off guard, this Luke person probably heard all about you beating up that guy." Jalen gently chastised, "Alani needs one of her parents to be safe. I'd rather that be you than me."

"You sound insane. She needs both of us. I'm comi-." Noelani started to insist.

"Noelani," Jalen's voice held a sharp tone and she immediately balled her tongue in her cheek at the sound of her full name. Jalen only called her that when he was angry or attempting to get her to see reason.

"Please talk some sense into your son." Noelani pushed her hair back as she directed her statement towards where Bree and Marcus were sitting, "He's trying to go meet with some lunatic by himself."

Jalen sighed and Noelani watched as he slowly rose from his seat to tower in front of her and take her hands into his then squeeze, "Can you guys leave the room for a moment?"

A short moment later the sounds of chairs scraping against the hardwood floor sounded and the pair were left alone on the first floor of the house.

"I know you're worried and that when you're stressed you tend to go into this protective overdrive but you have to let me handle tonight alone, okay?" Jalen began in a soft tone, "Let me handle this for us."

For the second time today, Noelani could feel tears flicker into her eyes, "I... I can't lose you," She croaked, "Not again."

"You're not gonna lose me." Jalen squeezed her hands once more but Noelani shook her head.

"I don't like this. You walk out that door tonight and there's a chance you won't come back. I can't lose you," She repeated, "These past months without you... I don't wanna have to do that again."

"And you're not going to," Jalen took her face in both hands and firmly pressed his lips to hers for a moment.

The kiss was full of reassurance and when he pulled back, Noelani pressed her forehead to his shirt, her words now muffled, "Just... Promise me you'll come back right after. I don't care what you have to do... Just come back in one piece, Jalen. Please."

Jalen kissed her forehead and then rested his head on top of hers, "I promise. I'm gonna get her and we're both gonna come back safe and sound."

"You better," Noelani muttered.

Jalen stepped back, checked his watch, and then sighed, "I gotta go," He kissed Noelani's lips once more, "I'm gonna be fine. Go home, I'll meet you there." 

As soon as Jalen slipped out the front door, Erin, Noelani's stepmother, tentatively strolled back into the room and wrapped one arm around her shoulders.

As Jalen's car started audibly outside, Noelani felt a cold hand envelop her heart and squeeze, "Erin?"

"Yeah, Noel?" Her voice was low as if she was afraid that even her voice at normal decibels would break Noelani.

Noelani gulped, "Tell me I didn't make a mistake."

NOTE FROM KY
vote and comment, please!