023

march 1st, 2024
10:23 am

NOELANI SAT IN the waiting room of the Long Beach Veterinary Hospital, her stocking covered legs crossed in front of her and a plain folder that held her resume in her arms

Her eyes were focused on the door labeled 'office' in thick black letters and the leg that was placed on the ground started to bounce.

The man sitting next to her with a leash connected to a French bulldog in his hand passed Noelani a weird look and Noelani ignored him in return. She was too nervous to focus on anything but her interview for her first career level job.

The last time she had been this nervous was when...

An amused smile spread across her face as the moment she had told Jalen she was pregnant flitted through her mind similar to a songbird.

Noelani sat on the closed toilet seat, her expression anxious and her heart racing.

She was alone in Jalen's apartment in the heart of L.A waiting for him to come back from a workout.

Her cell phone and a pregnancy test were sitting on the cream colored bathroom counter were next to her as she waited for the timer to go off.

She had taken a couple of tests over the past few days, praying that one of them would say negative, praying that she wasn't really pregnant.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," Noelani muttered as she checked the timer, "Jalen could be here any minute."

Thirty more seconds.

Noelani's right leg began to bounce.

Twenty more seconds.

She pressed her thumbnail firmly to her bottom lip.

Ten more.

She felt like she was about to toss.

Finally the timer rang and as if the universe wanted the worst timing possible, Noelani could hear Jalen's footsteps right outside the door.

The timer audibly went off and Noelani released an anxiety filled sigh.

"Baby?" Jalen called through the door, "Baby, are you okay?" A light knock followed his questions.

Noelani swiped the test off of the counter and tried not to release the bile that was rising in her throat.

Positive.