041

april 19th, 2024
1:41 pm

NOELANI'S GAZE WAS LOCKED on the window of Dr

NOELANI'S GAZE WAS LOCKED on the window of Dr. Coleman's office, her chin supported by the palm of her hand and the only sound emitting in the room was the low tick tock chiming from the clock hanging above the door.

Outside in the parking lot, there was a small family consisting of two parents who looked to be just a little older than her and a little girl who looked to be nearing three years old.

"Noel? Noel?" Dr. Coleman began in a low tone, putting aside her clipboard.

"Sorry, what?" Noelani blinked a couple of times in an attempt to regain her focus.

"I was just asking how your week went. I know that you have your daughter for the next couple of weeks... But I can tell something else is bothering you."

Noelani remained quiet and Dr. Coleman simply waited for a moment before continuing to speak, "This is exactly the place to get stuff off of your chest, Noelani."

In response, Noelani heaved a great sigh, "My cousin... Apparently, she's in some sort of trouble, I don't know what exactly but apparently it's enough for my bo-."

Noelani paused and took another deep exhale, "My ex... My ex everything really, to want to help her, and them two are like oil and water so I know whatever it is she's gotten herself into this time, gotta be life or death. He wants me to visit her and the hospital but the last time me and her spoke wasn't the most pleasant."

"And him wanting to help her bothers you?" Dr. Coleman crossed her legs.

"No... Yes... Ugh, fuck. Maybe." Noelani groaned, "It's just when we were together, like the last month actually, all he did was complain about her and now he's guilt-tripping me? Like isn't that bullshit?"

"Well, you've made it clear to me that family is really important to you and I've only known you for a couple of weeks, so this ex probably helping her as a way to unburden you."

Noelani lightly twisted her lips to the side at the therapist's words and then stood to start pacing behind the couch, "Yeah, he said that he was doing it because I didn't want to and that he loves me."

"Then there you go," Dr. Coleman furrowed her brows, "But that's not what's bothering you, is it?"

"I don't know what's bothering me!" Noelani stopped pacing, "I guess it's a little bit of everything when I think about it... The past couple of months have been great but so fucked up at the same time."

Dr. Coleman pressed the end of her pen to her full bottom lip and stayed quiet, waiting for Noelani to continue.

"The things I thought I wanted when my ex and I were together are the things I have now and yet I'm still not fully..." Noelani wrung her hands, "I don't know. Happy, I guess."