004

january 13th, 2024
2:16 pm

JALEN PRESSED HIS FINGER INTO THE doorbell of the sand colored home that Noelani's father Alejandro still lived in, and then waited

His movements were a little antsy and the velvety ring box was burning a hole in the left front pocket of his jeans.

Just as Jalen was about to ring the doorbell once more, Erin, her stepmother, answered.

"Jalen! What are you doing here?" Erin asked, her eyebrows furrowed in surprise.

"I need to talk to Alejandro about something." Jalen replied, his foot still bouncing.

"Well, how important is it because-." Erin started to say.

Jalen interrupted her, "It's important. It's really, really important."

Erin studied him with her deep green eyes then opened the door a little wider, a clear gesture for him to come in.

"He's in his study on the first floor." Erin said as she closed the front door behind him.

Jalen couldn't help but to look around and snicker at all the memories from him and Noelani dating in high school as he walked to where Alejandro's study towards the back of the house.

The door was closed so Jalen rapped his index and middle fingers against it.

"Come in!" Alejandro called from behind it and Jalen turned the knob and headed inside.

His home office was decorated with pictures of people that Alejandro had deemed his family: Noelani, Erin, the son they had together, and most recently, Jalen and Alani.

He was sitting behind a desk, several stacks of disorganized papers in front of him and a desktop Apple Mac computer

"Hey." Alejandro greeted him, rising from his chair, "What's the occasion? I know y'all only really come for Christmas and stuff. Where are the two Lanis?"

"Um... They're home." Jalen rubbed his hands together a little.

"What do you mean they're home?" Alejandro came around from behind the desk and then rested his back upon the edge of it.

"I needed to talk to you alone about something." Jalen admitted, his hand digging into his pocket for the engagement ring.

Alejandro's eyes dropped to where Jalen's hand was moving, "What's going on? Does Noel know you're here?"

Jalen continued to ignore the man's questions as he searched for the ring, finally pulling it out.

Alejandro's eyes grew blank at the sight of the ring box and he straightened his posture.

"Me and Lani have been together for a couple of years now and... Uh... I don't think I'm ever gonna love anyone else. Actually, I'm certain," Jalen changed his words at the clear disdain on Alejandro's face at the word, 'think'.

"I'm certain that she is the only one for me and I want to marry her," Jalen popped open the ring box, "I would appreciate it if I had your blessing for this, sir."

Alejandro took the ring box from him and studied it with a wary expression for about thirty seconds before handing it back, "I gotta tell you.... This is kinda out of the blue. Nice ring though."

"I know. But I've been sitting on this for awhile and my mom drilled it in me that you need to ask the father when you wanna get married so-."

"That's not what surprising me," Alejandro paused, clearly contemplating his next set of words, "I thought you knew."

Jalen blinked, "Knew what?"

"That Noel isn't the marrying type. She's been saying that she doesn't wanna marry anyone since she was young, even before her mother and I split up."

Jalen blinked again and then cleared his throat, "Yeah, when we first started dating she said something like that," He admitted then cleared his throat once more, "But, we're older now and I know she feels the same way about me. I know she loves me."

"It's not a question of if she loves you. It's a question of 'will this make her feel trapped?'" Alejandro asked as he moved back behind his desk and sit down.

"So you don't think I should propose? Is this you saying that you're not gonna give me your blessing?" Jalen asked, beginning to grow just the tiniest bit irritated.

He had only driven the six hours to Napa to get Alejandro's blessing, not to get an unneeded reminder that the mother of his child was a 24/7 flight risk.

Alejandro didn't respond verbally, choosing instead to lean back in his seat and let out a little sigh.

Jalen pushed his curls away from his forehead for a second, vexed at the way this conversation was going, "Look, I know that her first instinct is to run but we've been together for almost five years. We have a kid. She's not going anywhere."

Alejandro tucked both of his lips in, "I hope so for your sake. Just maybe discuss it throughly a couple of times before you jump the gun or in this case the broom."

Jalen gave him an expectant look and the older man sighed, "You have my blessing."

Jalen gave Alejandro a genuine grin, "Thank you. You won't regret it."

"Do you wanna stay for dinner? I think Erin's making spaghetti."

"No thank you. I told Lani that I was gonna be at meetings all day so it's probably better that I get home," Jalen opened the door to the study then turned to face the other man.

"Is it too soon to call you Dad?" Jalen asked, a playful smile on his face.

"Yes," Alejandro scowled, "Don't you freaking dare."

Jalen snickered as he made his way through the study, trying to ignore the pit lodged in his abdomen at the topic the two men had broached.

One thing that man is gonna do is tell your ass the truth.

Now, I remember why I try to avoid coming here.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!