Chapter 15: A Little Help from Friends

[OLETTE]

"Uh, Olette... are you sure you don't want to answer it?" Rienna asks me, holding up my cellphone in her hand, expecting--or hoping-- that I'd take it.

She and I were at our usual place of hang out--the library-- and my phone was vibrating because of an incoming call... for the nth time!

"No, I don't want to answer it." I say stubbornly, busying myself by stacking up misplaced books in their rightful shelves.

"But Olette... this is the 42nd miscall in your log... from the same person!"

"Yeah right. You're just saying that to make a..."

I trailed off when she showed me my cellphone, shoving it almost inches away from my face where I can see her proof.

"...point." I trailed off in a mumble, widening my eyes.

42 miscalls from Harvey Miller

I blinked as I grabbed my phone to take a better look at it.

Oh my G... She wasn't kidding. 

"42 misscalls? Is he for real!?"

Rienna placed her right hand on her forehead, making a thinking gesture, "Um, let me think about that.... YEAH!!" she says with heavy sarcasm. "I mean, I know guys have may be jerks sometimes, but come on, maybe you should consider giving the guy a break."

I looked at her, "But Rienna... he already has a girlfriend." I reminder her, "And yet... Why is he putting so much effort in apologizing to me?"

"There's only one way to figure that out... Talk to him. Yeah sure he has a girlfriend, and you obviously like him..."

"No I don..."

She narrowed her eyes at me. She ALWAYS does that when she gets irritated, frustrated, about to get mad... or when she's doubtful.

"But I honestly don't like hi..."

Then she places her hands on her hips.

I sighed and blushed, "Fine. I do."

"There... that wasn't so hard to admit, was it?" she remarks, "Now, I know you have a thing for him, and it's not going to be easy for you to confront him since he already has a girlfriend and it's even more difficult to allow him to tell you his sorry, because even though you DON'T WANT to forgive him, you can't help but do just that because you care about him."

I pouted at her statement, "If you know it's so difficult, why're you convincing me to do just that, huh?"

"Because... I see the sadness in your eyes despite the smile you use to hide it."

I widened my eyes and just stared at her. But... I was always so good in hiding my true feelings...  My parents never knew that I never really loved my course in the first place... they never knew I was only taking business because I hated the fact that if I don't then my snubbish cousin, Tom, would end up replacing dad as the CEO...

And most importantly, Harvey was always convinced that I loathed him even if in all honesty, I was really really attracted to  him...

I hid all these secrets and made everyone think I was okay... but... how did she...?

Ah. "It... it's a Psychology thing, huh?" I mumbled.

"That's a common misconception," she smirked, then she placed a hand over my shoulder, "Come on Olette... No one has to take up Psychology just so they can tell whether their friend is in despair or not... There's more to me than just some girl who's taking up her master's degree in Psychology... I mean... don't you think so? I am your friend right?"