Chapter 20: To Err is Human

[RIENNA]

Hmm. That was weird. Harvey seems to be down... and that's saying a lot. I haven't seen him act that way before. I wonder what's wrong.

Olette hasn't been acting herself too. I mean sure, she's usually quiet and all mysterious most of the time, but even so, I still manage to get a smile out of her and make laugh sometimes. But now... well, her smile seems forced and the sound of her laugh's obviously fake.

What's going on? At first, I thought maybe she was regretting the fact that she told me about her big secret. Why she didn't want me to tell anyone about her amazing talent. I remember asking her if she was having second thoughts in telling me about it.

All she said was, "No... it's really okay with me. I just... I just wished I only told you."

"Only told me?"

Then she immediately put a smile on and shake her head, "Nevermind. Just forget it."

And so she let the subject drop and whenever I try to bring it back up again, she always moves the spotlight to me and Luke or makes a quick exit, saying she has to go to the bathroom or that she's late for her next class...

I look back at her and I caught her looking down and staring blankly at space. I raised a brow.

She looked up and saw me looking at her. In response, she smiled, and then waved. I forced a smile our and then wave back.

I walked away and sighed. I'll deal with her later... I'll be late for class if I don't leave now.

------

KRIING! KRIING!!

The bell rings--and by bell, I meant the alarm of my Professor's smartphone. He can be really forgetful about the time when he's in the moment teaching us new lessons ranging from Freud to Abnormal Psychology. So he alarms his phone so he won't end up dismissing us late.

After waving bye to my classmates, I turned and saw a young blonde, digging her face on her knees as she sat at the corner of the first step of the staircase. By the looks of her posture-- hugging her knees and shoulders occasionally moving up and down-- I could tell she was having a crying jag. 

I glanced at her surroundings just then. There were people who took notice of her. Some tried to see what was wrong, but they gave up when she wouldn't even look at them. Most ignored her completely though, probably thinking she was doing it to get some attention. 

Well, I didn't want to be like the latter so I approached the young blond and sat across her.

"Hey there, what's wrong?"

"Go... away... I don't need your help... whoever you are..." she said through sobs.

"Oh, but I think you do need some help... you just don't want it." I pointed out.

"Yeah? What makes you so sure?"

"Well... if you didn't 'need' help, why would you cry in the middle of a public area? Why would you make it so obvious to strangers that you're crying and in great hurt? I'd go to the restroom if I didn't need or want help. At least I could cry in peace there."

"What if I..." she paused to sniff, face still hidden behind her knees, "...wanted to cry here because I just couldn't take it anymore and the restroom's too far for me to hold back the tears any longer?" she challenged.

"Well, for one thing... you COULD hold back if you really wanted to until you reach the restroom. It's all about mind over matter usually... And for another thing... miss, the restroom is just across the hall. It ISN'T that far."