Chapter 24: Bitter Irony

[RIENNA]

"Ruff! Ruff!" Trever, my now half-grown golden retriever, barked relentlessly as I lay on bed, looking down and lazy... and that's not a norm for me.

These days, my school schedule has been mostly every thursday, friday, and saturdays... where in Saturday is my only whole day, the rest half days. So on free days, like today, I usually spend it on studying in advance or working on my thesis.

But ever since that last phone call with Luke, which was already a week old, well... I haven't been in peace. We haven't even met up a single time when we were in school. And when I text him, he replies only once, always saying "I'm busy." Plus, he never even answered a single phone call. I wonder how many missed calls are filed in his phone's Log with my name on it.

I sighed as Trever lay his head contentedly on my lap, "Oh Trever... I don't know what to do anymore... Something big is up... Some thing WRONG... and He won't even talk to me about it..." I complained, "I can't help but worry about him..." I sighed again and gave Trever a big hug. "I'd give anything just to see and talk to him again... I miss him so much."

I was so busy and absorbed with my thoughts that I didn't notice the door opening.

"Rienna, someone's here to see you." it was Sir Samuels.

I turned and widened my eyes when I noticed who was right beside him.

"LUKE!!!" I couldn't help myself. As soon as I saw him, I got up and ran to him, throwing my arms around him.

"Wo--woah!" he grunted, surprised by my reaction.

Sir Samuels coughed fakely, making known to me that I was crossing the line.

Under normal circumstances, I would've got the hint and pulled away. But for just this once, I didn't.

"Luke!!! Oh Luke! I missed you!!" I exclaimed, aware of the melodramatic tone of my voice but not caring about it one bit. What matters now is that he's in my arms right now.

"Rienna..." Luke whispered, a tone of disbelief coloring his voice, as if he didn't expect my reaction even once.

Sir Samuels cleared his throat and spoke, "I'll  be in the room next door... Don't TRY anything, Mr. Cook." he says sternly.

Luke gulped, "Yes sir."

I looked up and narrowed my eyes at the old man. "Sir... please. I haven't seen  him for a whole week." I reminded him.

"That's not too long of a time period, child." Sir Samuels says then he left, shutting the door behind him.

I sighed and looked up at Luke, "Don't mind him, okay? Just feel at home." I say, pulling him to sit on the bed with me. Trever barked once and pulled on Luke's pants. He smiled small and rubbed Trever's head and then behind his ears.

"I guess you missed me too, Trev." he says.

"We both did. Extremely."

He sat straight and eyed me, "I'm still surprised to hear that... I was expecting that you'd be mad or upset with me by now." he admitted.

"Is that why it took you so long to FINALLY see me? Well, at first I was frustrated but... not being able to be with you the whole week... well, that killed me more." I sighed, and then leaned on him, "Please don't do that again..."

He sighed and embraced me, "I'm sorry I made you go through that..."

We sat in silence for a while and I didn't complain. I was just glad to him here with me.