Chapter 6: Apologies

[LUKE]

"Why did you have to do that?" I demanded finally to Atty. Stanley.

Just like every other school day in NYU, I meet up with Atty. Stanley and we talk for a while on how my day went. That kind of formality. But now, I didn't just want to talk about how my day went. I wanted to demand an explanation why he schemed up to get me alone with a woman for more than just an hour.

"What are you talking about, Luke?"

Luke! He calls me Luke again!

"You know what I'm talking about, sir. The newcomer! You asked me to give her an orientation but when in fact, you already gave her a copy of the student manual."

I actually wasn't going to complain anymore but after my little rude deed with her before I left... well, guilt got the better of me. So I'm displacing my frustration at the attorney.

He looked at me and grinned, "Ah that.." he says, "So you mean... you haven't figured it out yet?"

I narrowed my eyes, "I have my suspicions and guesses already but it would help my conscience if you give me the confirmation yourself."

"Ah, so you already KNOW why I did what I did... you just need the  confirmation?"

I nodded, impatient. 

He sighed, and then told me to have a seat. I insisted on standing. And then he started, "I'm just concerned for you, Luke."

Concerned? What's there to be concerned about?

"Yes, you are doing perfectly well with your grades. You're one of the most outstanding students here in NYU, and no one doubts that you'll be graduating with honors next year. But..." he paused for effect. "It's like you're living a dead life."

"A dead life? What does that supposed to mean?" I demanded.

"Tell me, Luke... when was the last time you had fun?"

I had to smirk and then laugh at that, "Fun? Are you serious?"

He gave me a stern look that made me swallow my laughter. 

"I... I don't see your point sir." I admitted.

"I mean... when was the last time you went out to relax, socialize or go out on a date?"

A date? Is he serious? He's starting to sound like one of those concerned parents in tv shows.

"Sir, I don't have time to do any of those things. I'm more focused in..."

"Reaching your destination." he finished for me. "I know that Luke. But still, no man is an island. You need to invest your time in relationships. Go out, make some friends, and have fun for a change."

"And what will that contribute to me reaching my goal, sir?" I challenged.

He smiled at me, "Before reaching your goal, you'll be able to discover one of the most important secrets in life."

Secrets? "Huh. Even more important than my secret?" I challenged again.

I expected him to say "Now I wouldn't go that far. Your secret is far more important than anything else, hands down."

But instead...

"Yes Luke. Even more important than your secret."

--------

What the hell is more important than my secret? That's what I want to know. No way is there any other secret in my life that will surpass the one secret I hold closest to my person. But the look Atty. Stanley gave me... it was serious look. No inside jokes, no sarcasm, and no lies.