Chapter 4: The Newcomer

[LUKE]

"Remember this, boy, you have potential, that's why I've decide to help you. But if your secret gets out and everything goes out of control... well, let's just hope it won't come to that."

 Huh. It's been almost three years since Atty. Stanley gave me that warning, but it never fails to echo in my ears as soon as I wake up in the morning. Does every morning have to start out like this? With a warning... A warning that reminds me that everything I work hard for could slip right out of my hands and go to waste if I don't make sure that the secret stays a secret.

Well, don't worry Attorney, it will stay a secret even if I have to die trying.

"AHHHH!!!" I jumped, startled when the alarm goes off with a loud buzz, making me fall off the bed. Ugh. As usual, I wake a minute before the alarm. One of the signs of not getting a good night's sleep.

"Crap, you stupid alarm clock." I grabbed the clock off my night desk, violently took out the batteries from behind, and threw it in the direction of the garbage bin, where it landed like a basketball in a net. "That's the last time you're scaring the hell out of me."

I stood up, did some stretching, and made my way to make breakfast. It's the same like the day before: Milk and Cereal with Coffee. I'm a not-so-simple guy with simple needs, and I don't need anything fancy to give me energy for a whole day's work.

Glancing at the the calendar, I remember that it's the first day of my last year in NYU. I sighed in relief, "Almost there. So close, Luke, so close. Don't trip before the finish line. I'll reach my goal. I will." I chanted to myself, hoping that the more I say that to myself everyday, the more chances of it coming true.

Just then, my phone rang.

Atty. Stanley.

Of course I answered it. "Good morning, sir."

"Yes, Good morning Mr. Cook. What time does your first class start?"

"Oh, let me see." I checked the time-- 6:30AM, and then my schedule for this semester posted on the fridge. "Around 10am, sir."

"Perfect. We could use your help again to give a brief orientation on a new student in the Graduate School." he told me brightly.

I narrowed my eyes. Not again. Although I AM grateful to him for helping me out during the times when I needed support, and for offering my a second chance to make things right in life, I'm still frustrated by the fact that he made me a "volunteer welcoming committee person." Not that I hate to be around people, but I really rather go to library and have some advance reading before my next class starts.

"Alright sir. What time should I be there?"

"Around 9AM would be fine, it's just a brief orientation to help the newcomer get to her class on time."

Her?

"Sir... how many newcomers are there?" I asked suspiciously.

He laughed, "Just one, Mr. Cook."

"One... female?" I repeated in disbelief. I've "orient" a lot of incoming students before. The fewest number being around four... but now, I'm supposed to orient just one? "Sir, I just don't understand why I have to give a 'brief orientation' to just one student. Can't someone else do it? Perhaps, someone who's really a member of the welcoming committee?"

"Great! I'll see you later then. Don't be late, it's rude to keep a lady waiting." Atty. Stanley says, completely ignoring everything I had just said.

"But...!!"

Gone.

I stared at my cellphone incredulously. He just hang up on me. I groaned. For an attorney, he can be really unprofessional sometimes. Ugh. Time to get dressed I guess.