Chapter 8: The Act

[HARVEY]

It was only later that I realized why Fate wasn't in my side just a while ago with Olette.

I just remembered that I had a gig tonight in a well-known Night Cafe called "The Muses" where aspiring perfomers in broadway start out their amateur career and work their way to the Stage of Dreams. Obviously, I'm still in the amatuer part. But hey, don't complain is what I always say. The more you complain the more bad luck gets attracted to you.

So saying that... even if I did got to "unofficially" go out with Olette tonight, I would have to take her here but that wouldn't be a good idea because she's obviously not the type who is in to these kinds of thing.

Which doesn't support the odds that you could actually stand a chance on winning her...I could almost imagine Paul saying that to me. I rolled my eyes, refusing to invite any negative reaction.

"Hey, here comes the highlight of the night." I was greeted by the club's manager. We shook hands and he lead me to the backstage to prepare for my act.

I was supposed to be wearing a tuxedo because the setting of the act was during a wedding. It was just an excerpt in a famous play, wherein a man tries to talk to the woman he loves before she walks down the aisle and marry another man he's convinced would never love her the same way he always will.

After putting on the black slacks, I was just about to wear the undershirt before wearing the black coat, when all of the sudden...

"Harvey! Sweetie, I didn't know you were here already."

I tensed.

Remember the cold shoulder I thought only Olette could give me?

Well, I was wrong. Here comes the girl that could make me feel the coldest cold shoulder at any time, any where... even in a beach resort in Miami. (Yes, I'm exaggerating for emphasis.)

"Oh boy, here we go..." I whispered to myself. I turned around and sighed, "Hi Sandra... if you don't mind actually... I'm still getting dressed, so..."

She just inched closer to me, "Aw, but you could just to the act looking like that..." she says, trying to seduce me, placing her hands on my bare chest.

I narrowed my eyes, and then took her wrist out, "In case you forgot, the scene is set during a Wedding... meaning, a formal gathering... not on a beach in Miami." I corrected.

She sighed dramatically. "Oh well... I guess I'd have a hard time focusing on... saying my lines if you didn't put the black coat on that... bare chest of yours..." she says, walking away from me as if she thought I was watching every move she makes (which, to be honest, I really wasn't) and then she flipped her hair and turned back to me and winked, "You being half-naked and all really turns me on, Harv."

And then she finally left my dressing room.

I almost vomitted right there and then.Crap! She literally gives me the chills. I complained. If I knew she was that... that... irritating, I would never have agreed to the scene with her in the first place. I mean, sure I said yes almost immediately after seeing that my partner for the scene was a sexy lady with long blonde hair and heart-shaped lips but...

I shook my head to refocus on the task at hand, "Okay, what does Luke always say when faced with something frustrating or slightly irritating?" I told myself, eyes closed and breathing evenly, "Ah! Yes, 'Be Professional.'"I said in my best Luke voice and accent and then laughed, imagining Luke saying it just like that. I think I nailed him. Hahaha.

Finally getting dressed and putting the damn black coat on, I headed out of my dressing room for the scene, hoping that nothing goes wrong from here on out.

------

"But he doesn't love you!!!" I yelled frantically at Sandra-- who ironically is playing the love of my character's life.

"And don't you think I know that?" she scoffs at me, "Charles, I know that. I know he doesn't love me and that he's only doing this because his family and mine are both filthy rich and that our marriage would only promise more wealth in the future."

"Then why? Why did you still agree to marry him? Tell me! WHY!??"

"BECAUSE it's my RESPONSIBILITY, Charles." she snapped, looking really pretty in her wedding gown I had to admit. "Do you even know what that word means, Charles? Is that word even in your dictionary?" she laughs without humor and looks at me smugly, "For as long as I've known you, I've realized what man you actually are." she says in distaste. "Still living under the roof his mother, relying on your little sister to help you find a job, night parties almost every week... You expect me to love you after knowing that you can never support me or any family we could've had?" she yelled. "NOW LOOK! You're mother's death was just a week ago and your sister moved into another state! So here you come, crawling back to me... NOT because of my love but because you have no one to look after you anymore! You're such a kid, Charles!"

I stare at her eyes intently. We stared at each other in silence for a long while.

"WELL! Why don't you say something then!"

I sighed, looked down, and then did what was unexpected of my character to do.

I knelt down, exuding humility and guilt for all wrong deeds done, "I'm sorry if I made you feel that way Katie... that you felt as if you had to care for me and support me. I'm sorry I made you feel like you had to be the one to look after me when... all I really wanted to do was be the man to look after you." I sighed for effect, easily letting the fake tears stream down my face. "But... if I'm sure of anything in my life... is the fact that I'm not here to ask you to take care of me... but to make sure you can live with the decision of marrying someone you don't love..." I locked eyes with her, whereas her eyes are wide with shock.

"Because that's the one decision I never could live with. Ever."

"Charles..."

"I love you, Katie." I say as I slowly got up. "And even if you'll belong to another man... my heart will always belong to you."

Then, end scene as the curtain slowly falls down on our little stage.

"Phew! Yes! I nailed it!" I cheered, as I heard a round of applause from behind the curtains. I heard whistles and shouts of satisfaction too. Ah yes, all in a day's work for...

"OUFF!!" I grunted as I fell to the floor. "SANDRA!!"

And of course, just like what she always does after the end of every rehearsal, she ran to me and threw her arms around me like we were actually lovers in real life.

"Oh you were amazing, Harvey! Bravo! Bravo!!!" she squeeled in delight.

"Yes... and saying this to me without the bear hug wouldn't suffice?" I say sarcasticly.

She just laughed, "Oh, you're so funny!"

"I wasn't trying to be funny. I wasn't even joking!" I corrected.

Just then, "Ahem, umm... Harvey... earth to Harvey."

I turned and saw the manager with someone familiar...

"O---OLETTE!!!?"

[End of Chapter 8]