Chapter 19: Loneliness

[LUKE]

It feels so good to have someone looking out for you.

For as long as I can remember, it's always been Lucas Cook, "The Lone Wolf," or "The Man who stands alone," and sometimes even Lucas Cook, "The Power of One." As long as you see the word "one" in any title, you can go ahead and add my name before it. And it never bothered me because I chose that path. It was just easier to live in solitude because no one can even try to hurt you or make your life a living hell.

But then came this amazing girl named Cory Anna Fuentes, a brunette with beautiful black eyes... who turned my world upside down. And all of the sudden, all the things I never even imagined was possible were happening right before my eyes:

Instead of just a briefcase on my hand, a smooth hand is interwined in my fingers. Instead of an empty seat next to me in the subway, a head comfortably rested on my shoulder. Instead of just listening to music or radio programs about news and current affairs through my earphones, I indulge myself by listening to the sound of her laughter. Instead of just watching television about speeches of politicians, news reporters, and other talk shows, I smile as I watch her eyes dance when she tells me how her day was, learning something new about Psychology each day. And my personal favorite, instead of leaving the house for school or coming home after a long and tiring day, someone calls almost the minute I step in or out to ask me "Hey, are you on your way to NYU already?" or "Are you home yet?"

Man, I never thought it would feel this good.

And Harvey Miller, the dude I've been underestimating from the moment I first met him, had helped me make her special in the way that she truly deserved... and I haven't even thanked him properly yet.

How can I? Each time I try to meet up with him, he comes up with excuses or "alibis" that he can't see me because he's busy with theater rehearsals. But whenever I see any of his friends-- the same two guys who helped me with the surprise for Rienna-- they tell me that they aren't at all busy that much in rehearsals.

It's been two weeks since that glorious day and I still haven't gave him the proper thanks he deserves.

And then just yesterday, I met up with Olette and at least managed to thank her properly-- you know, giving her a small gift (Brownies) and a small note that says my message of thanks.

On the bright side, she smiled at my gesture and even teased me that I was actually learning to ease up and become more sociable and interacting among my "peers." I ignored the fact that she was making fun of me and just shrugged it off. On the BAD side... when I asked her if she's seen Harvey lately, her smiled faded almost instantly and a frown was in its place instead. She looked away, "No, sorry..." then she excused herself by saying she still has work to do in the library and then left hastily.

And on that note, my deductive skills kicked in as I began to realize what was going on.

I haven't seen Harvey for two weeks. Olette hasn't seen him either and looks as if she doesn't even want to. Therefore...

------

"You... knew I had a misunderstanding with Olette by USING deductive reasoning...???" Harvey says in disbelief, narrowing his eyes at me.

So I finally caught up with him while I was about to have lunch in the cafeteria. Then I asked if we could share a table. He agreed. Then as soon as we ordered food and placed it on our table, I directly popped the question.

"So I'm right?"

"Yeah, duh you're right... but geez man, do you always have to use lawyer stuffs in every part of your life?"