twenty-seven

There's so much happening in this chapter that it took me a while to write it but it's hereeee!

CALL ME FIGHTER, MATT BEILIS & PARTITION, BEYONCÉ

It happened a lot quicker than I thought it would. The day it was all over was here. I was anxious. I was second-guessing myself. Above all, Matthew stood by my side - always unwavering. It gave me the shot of courage I needed. This was finally happening.

In crowds, they come out of the building. FBI agents direct them where to go. Several ambulances await to receive the ones who need medical attention of any sort. The men who had served as guards and pimps are led out in handcuffs after the women who'd been held captive.

I wait patiently.

As patient as I could ever be and that's pushing the buttons.

When everyone who needs to be out is so, Alba walks out. Her badge hangs around her neck and her gun in her hand. I've never seen her in action as an FBI agent. Doing so now fills me with pride. She's poised. She always has been. Being a beauty queen and an equestrian had served her right. She's near the FBI team lead, her boss, when there's a loud explosion. Everyone flinches at the sound. Matthew pulls me into his arms, ducking behind a police cruiser. The ones near the building are set back by the impulse.

"Cain!" I hear her wails. They sound so far away. My ears ring.

"Cain!" I hear it again. I peer up from the car, bringing myself into a standing position. The Warehouse is in flames. Alba is being held by an FBI agent. It's surreal. This wasn't supposed to happen. This wasn't the plan. I take in the scene before me. I realize...

Cain never walked out of the building.

Neither did Katherine.