Chapter 20

"What is it that you desire with your very being?"

As Hibari heard what the man in front of him asked him, he chuckled mentally. The answer was almost immediate. He already knew what he wanted. He already knew what he desired above all else.

"That's simple. To maintain order in my territory and to bite any carnivore to death should they step out of line."

"Oh. Then what if I was one of those carnivores? What would you do then?"

"I have no need to repeat myself. Anyone who disrupts the order in my territory won't get away. Just because we've had a few chats, don't assume you're safe from my wrath should you oppose the order here."

A moment of silence was present as Hibari was glaring at the man in front of him. Soon Hibari walked past him without so much as saying another word. While this happened, the man looked at Hibari's retreating form. A smirk soon appeared on his face as he too began to walk away from the area.

"Long ago, I once selected ten slaves with the intent of killing one that would not be missed. Yet of those ten slaves, I could not slay any of them. They were simple laborers, but none of them were of no value. In this new era I could find hundreds, nay, thousands of people and I would not find one in the lot whom I can't kill. At least....before now."

The man smirked as he reminisced about his past interactions with Hibari. When the boy moved, he moved with purpose. When one tries to talk him over or tries to use him, it always ended in failure. He was a boy of few words, but his actions told the man everything the boy stood for.

"Not wavering for anyone or anything. Not letting a single person dictate his actions and restrain him. Not to mention, he has men whom embody the same will as him out of respect and loyalty. Hibari Kyoya will not tolerate anyone who causes chaos in his territory. Hmph, it seems i've found some entertainment with a bit of pride."

~Meanwhile~
"Hibari! Hibari!"

After a long day, Hibari was standing outside of his home. When he arrived, Hibird landed on his right index finger. A small smile formed on Hibari's face. Soon he used his other index finger to rub the top of Hibird's head.

"It seems you're doing well, little one. However, do you think you could give me a moment? Just for a second."

As Hibird flew off, Hibari sat down on the ground as Avenger appeared next to him. When they glanced at each other, they knew exactly what the other was feeling due to the look in their eye.

"If that monster didn't interfere with my fight with Kuzuki, I would've played my ace in the hole and bitten him to death."

"I let that damn witch get away again. Not only that, it took that brute's presence to catch her off guard. Not to mention I let her trick me when she lured me away from the boy as the fight started. Now we're on a leash due to being "saved" by said brute."

Irritation. Not only did they fail to bite their prey to death, but they were also saved. They'll get their debt repaid quickly so they can no longer be restrained, but that didn't make this situation less irritating for them.

"If only I had thought about it more. Caster merely flew off. If I had stayed by this boy and fought against her Master while she was away, we could've killed him and Caster would no longer have an anchor here. However, Caster servants can sense the presence of other servants better than the other classes, so she might've caught on. But still......."

The wolf gazed at the sky as it looked at the moon. Its hatred was undying, mutual understanding is impossible. However, if he took a moment to think instead of following his instincts, would things have gotten better?

"What good is a wolf if it's starting to regret being born with fangs? Not all herbivores are weak. If they were, they would've died out long ago. They've simply found their own way to survive. If that's the case, a carnivore just needs to find a way to adapt to their prey's new way of surviving in order to make biting them to death easier."

The wolf looked at its Master. He had the look of a starving animal. He was craving for victory and wants nothing more than sink his fangs into anyone causing a mess in his territory. The wolf chuckled mentally at this. Hibari was right, as much as he hates agreeing with this human, he knew he was right. Soon Hibari looked towards his servant.

"Don't get the wrong idea. I don't intend to mingle with anyone. However, should we both happen to have the same prey, I won't slow you down and you won't slow me down. After all, it'll make biting that herbivore to death more fun if there's competition."

The wolf could tell what Hibari was getting at. They were in this situation due to their lack of a common goal. This wasn't an invite to work together. Rather, Hibari was suggesting a truce and wanting to focus on who to fight next. Soon, the headless rider got off of the wolf as it did something Hibari didn't expect.

"As much as I hate having that collar known as Command Seals on me, should he use them in order to take down his prey, I won't complain. But the moment he tries to use it to restrain me, i'll bite his head off."

Right now, the wolf rolled over and exposed its stomach to Hibari. It's instinctual for an animal to protect their vital organs, but by rolling over and exposing themselves has a meaning behind it. It was a sign, a sign that the animal doesn't feel threaten by you. However, in the case of Hibari and the wolf, it was much different.

"Heh. So you're exposing yourself to me. This isn't trust.......you're telling me that you're fine with cooperating as long as you're not restrained. Fine then, i'm in. However, if what that little carnivore told me earlier is true, then our so-called connection may be weak. However, if our path is comparable to one weak howl....."

As Hibari walked towards the wolf, he held his left hand outwards. When his hand reached the wolf's stomach, he simply looked at the sky and gazed at the moon. He had a theory on how to work around his weak connection to Avenger. The key was the characteristic his Cloud Flames posses.

"........all I need to do is increase the number of howls."