Chapter 5 ~ Library

TW: mention of assault, fights

(Edited)

Karl's POV:

I was woken by my mother banging her fist on my door.

"I WILL BE AT MY FRIENDS HOUSE FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS. DON'T DO ANYTHING DUMB YOU LITTLE BRAT!" She yelled at me like usual. After I made sure she was gone I let out a loud groan. Yes, I was happy that she wasn't going to be home but that meant if even one thing was a touch out of place I would be blamed for it. Usually I never left my room just in case my clumsy self tripped and broke something. It's happened before but you'll have to take my word for it because it was not pretty.

I dragged myself out of bed and took a quick shower. I would have to leave my house soon if I was going to make it to school on time. I grabbed a banana on the way out the door and bolted out of the apartment building. There are some sketchy people who live here. 

As I was walking to school I was alone with my thoughts. I had already grown to dislike these walks, in the end it always makes me more anxious than before. It had been 3 days since I told Sapnap I didn't want his pity. I ignored him and didn't talk to him, at least it distracted me from everything. Was ignoring Sapnap really helping though? A small voice in my head said no but I just blocked it out and kept walking. 

When I arrived at my locker I was relieved that Sapnap wasn't there. But when I opened the locker a small note fell out. I reached down to grab it, when I unfolded it I read it quietly to myself.

 I heard you really like this book. You wouldn't quit talking about it :P   -Sapnap

He didn't need to put his name on it for me to know it was him, he has very unique penmanship. I looked up into my locker and saw the book 'These Broken Stars' in my locker. It had been my favorite book ever since I read it that day in the library and he asked me to summarize it to him after he found me shaking in the streets. I talked about it for a straight hour and he patiently listened and gave his opinion on things. He really was a great listener. I felt my heart skip a beat at that thought but I brushed it off as anxiety because it was easy to blame it on that. 

I ended up leaving the book in my locker so I wouldn't lose it. At lunch I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice when Sapnap walked up behind me.

"Hey Karl? Did you like the gift?" He asked me cautiously. He knew I was mad at him for some reason so he tried to stay as gentle as possible. He tried to hide his emotions but I saw the stress and worry shining through his facial features. 

"Y-yes it was c-cool that you remembered," I stuttered out. Why can I never be calm about these simple things? Well actually, I could think of at least 2 reasons.

"That's good. Your rambling was so compelling I decided to read the book for myself!" Sapnap exclaimed excitedly. He plopped himself down next to me on the lunch bench. No one was sitting at this table so it didn't matter where he sat. I groaned mentally, I like talking to Sapnap, don't get me wrong, but I just wasn't in the mood to do so. 

I was worried about my mom, even though she did many bad things to me I still hope she doesn't get assaulted or something. I've wished death on people before but I could never on my own mother. Even though I loathed her with most of my heart. She's always off with some boyfriend that she found at a party. I get worried for her.